Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Developed my first Gamebase and have a question

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

throwingmuse

Developed my first Gamebase and have a question

Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:25 pm

Well, I've started developing my own Gamebases. I mostly did this because older Gamebases are no longer available on their historic web-storage sites (MediaFire, MegaUpload, etc.) I also wanted to learn how to customize aspects of existing lists to suite my personal needs.

I started with the Daphne emulator. I began by focusing on two titles: Dragon's Lair and Space Ace. Once I read the GEMUS documentation and experimented, I was able to get Gamebase to successfully launch each game. I then expanded Dragon's Lair by using key/value pairs into two entries which allowed for the ordered and random scene progression.

Here is the basic GEMUS code I used:

Code: Select all

Add_CLP(%gamefilenoext%)
Add_CLP( vldp)
Add_CLP( -framefile G:\Emulation\Emulator\Daphne\framefile\%framefile_value%)
Add_CLP( -homedir %emupath%)
Add_CLP( -fastboot -noserversend -sound_buffer 2048 -opengl -x 1024 -y 768)

Show_Message(%commandline%)

Run_Emulator()
I then began adding extra content to each game: pictures, manuals, etc. However, this is where I am now stuck. I cannot determine how to add more than one picture to an item. I can use the interface to add a single picture but it won't allow me to multi-select. I want to add in-game screenshots and a title screen to each game. How is this done?
Last edited by throwingmuse on Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:45 pm

you need to rename the picture files as follows

Dragons_Lair.png <- Link this as main picture file
Dragons_Lair_1.png
Dragons_Lair_2.png

do not mix different file formats as it will not work.
only the first screen will be shown if you do.

Dragons_Lair.bmp
Dragons_Lair_1.png
Dragons_Lair_2.jpg
throwingmuse

Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:17 pm

Thanks! That worked. I had my images originally named image_1.png and image_2.png.

I have one last question for the moment: key value pairs. The documentation indicates:

Key=Value pairs give you the flexibility of specifying arbitrary variables that can be used in your GEMUS scripts. By pressing F2 in GameBase (when a game is selected) you can enter key=value pairs specifically for that game, along with managing sets of keys=value pairs (kvsets)."

However, my experience is that when I select a game and hit F2 to enter a key=value pair, it impacts all titles in the Gamebase, not just the one selected.

I've tried it two ways:

1. GLOBAL
I know that this impacts all games in the list

2. Create a new KVSET
I believe this is the way to go but I haven't been able to determine the correct syntax from the documentation. The special kvset= tag is confusing me, I think.

My goal is this:

Code: Select all

Game 1
     framefile=x

Game 2
     framefile=y

Game 3
     framefile=z
so I can use %framefile_value% in GEMUS based on the game selected.

How is this done?
throwingmuse

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:31 am

Well, I discovered the solution and it turned out to be extremely simple. For some reason, I was fixated on the right hand side of the key=value pair popup window (F2) since it was highlighted. I was entering all of my key=value pairs in the right panel, experimenting with kvsets and global values. I never once tried to enter a simple key=value pair in the LEFT panel. Upon doing so, I was able to define unique framefiles for each game in the list. Live and learn.

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”