Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

GameBase64 portability issue?

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

marz2

GameBase64 portability issue?

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:17 am

I was wondering if it would be a benefit to the GameBase community to write a portable Front End. No .NET isn't very portable, I have trouble running ManicDigger on Mono 2.x on OS X. Mono's VM crashes if its taxed to much, in addition porting the VB6 to .NET is an undertaking that requires VS 2005 Community ( or whatever MS calls the free version of Visual Studio ) which is no longer available through MS.
Also using a VM ( Java and .NET not something like QEmu\Parellels\VmWare\Virtualbox ) means people have to have the correct version installedl
I was thinking of Objective C ( OS X, Windows, Debian ) and FreePascal ( OS X, Linux (including SUSE which doesn't have GNUStep), Windows, OS/2, BSD )
My general plans are to port one of Dax's uploaded gamebases to SQLite3 and build the simple version of the front end from that.
I have another Gamebase related project as well so the application may take a bit of time to write ( the other is an online database ( similar to No-Intro but also has machines in it )
Jimbo
GB64 Team

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:42 pm

Good luck...

I think it is a huge undertaking. I was looking at .net (c#) as a language to use for a new updated frontend - but of course it is still windows only.

Another option may be Qt.
marz2

Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:19 am

Ty Jimbo:

I'll post a sample of the SQLite databases ( Honestly there aren't many desktop database apps these days, most are Client-Server)
As for the C#.... Good idea.
I was thinking Objective-C until I found out that there isn't support for it on Fedora Core\SuSe Linux.....
The main questions are how to support mac versions,... which is easy...
using MESS as an example...
on OS X
MESS.app/.../Mac OS/mess (arguments)
( OS X/iOS app files are just folders after all )

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”