Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

New GB version coming... feature requests, anyone?

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

Belgarath
Keen Member
Keen Member

Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:47 am

Saved picture path works great and the custom ui settings to change the screenshot size works great as well :) cheers Jimbo great stuff.
Jimbo
GB64 Team

Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:09 am

Glad it worked!

Eugh... its been so long since I looked at any of this stuff.. can someone please tell me which version of MS Office I need installed to look at/make changes to the .mdb file?

Thanks

James
Belgarath
Keen Member
Keen Member

Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:14 am

I converted all my GB mdb's into acesss 2000 format.
K.C.
Cool Member
Cool Member

Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:16 pm

Jimbo wrote:can someone please tell me which version of MS Office I need installed to look at/make changes to the .mdb file?
When I create a new database with the GBToolbox and open the MDB with Access 2003, it says that it is read-only, because it it in Access 97 format.
So I think it is Office / Access 97.
But after I convert it to Access 2003, I can use it without problems with the Gamebase frontend.
Jimbo
GB64 Team

Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:01 pm

Thanks that's very helpful. I only have Office 2003 so I think I'll convert the Empty.mdb to it for the next release.
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:28 pm

Like the work /fixes so far.

disks with no volume name, still need fixing.

hope there's room for another fix. :wink:

screen shot filename too big error.

EXAMPLE (90 chrs long)
gb\A\012345678901234567890Addams Family, The - Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt (USA, Europe).png

block with variable not set.
runtime error.

you can select the long filename as a pic, but it will crash the gamebase.
you need to close Gamebase in task manager afterwards.

only way to fix MDB is to edit screenshot file name entry in Access.

Not a really a bug,
just does my head in pasting cloumns in Access.

can you make the NEW empty.mdb (completly empty)
With No Game /Parent Geners.

Have ALL IDs starting at 1.
Example
MU_Id starts at 38 (unknown)
PU_Id starts at 37 (unknown)
CR_Id starts at 7 (None)

if you delete the entries in Access the new number ID always starts +1 from the last known number ID.

and i don't know how to make a New Gamebase file myself. :?

Thanks Again. 8)
hardmanm
Cool Member
Cool Member

Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:23 am

Great update which helps speed up gamebase creation, hope you continue to devolope gamebase.
Gamebase Developer
Jimbo
GB64 Team

Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:03 am

screen shot filename too big error.

EXAMPLE (90 chrs long)
gb\A\012345678901234567890Addams Family, The - Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt (USA, Europe).png

block with variable not set.
runtime error.

you can select the long filename as a pic, but it will crash the gamebase.
you need to close Gamebase in task manager afterwards.

only way to fix MDB is to edit screenshot file name entry in Access.
Fixed

As a bonus, you can now resize the screenshot selector window too.
More fields definitely
OK, I don't have the time to let you add an arbitrary number of fields, or to change GameBase to allow multiple publishers/coders/musicians etc per game (as separate linked fields). What I can do though, is add some new fields. I'm thinking Graphics artist, game rarity, developer, license (commercial/public domain/freeware etc), plus a weblink field for the game info, and a weblink field for the version info tab (could be used as a download link for example). Might have a few more yes/no fields too.

How does that sound. Would that be enough fields for now? Of course you can always change the meaning/name of them via the ini file.

Adding more fields will make the tab area bigger under the game lists, so the frontend will no longer fit on a 640x480 screen - which I'm assuming isn't a problem these days anyway.

Other (unmentioned) tweaks planned:

- Let you set the GBGame folder location.

- Split options dialog up into "Frontend options" and "Per Database Options"

James
arthur_gill@hotmaIl.com
Cool Member
Cool Member

a definite request..

Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:23 am

it is possible to use the access database without needing it to create a ldb (IE run it from optical media).

http://onlinehelp.dwebpro.com/en/how_to ... d_dvd.html

When a temp directory is requred for unzipping disc images etc etc, it will still point to a C drive... (I presume... c:\temp or similar - if windows 7 allows for that?).

It means however (as I use relative pathings and a copy of all the needed ocx's, and dll's held locally to the database, and have it running 'standalone' already - see earlier post from myself), I can guarantee settings never get 'scr*w*d up).
:)
Also great to lend to a friend who has no knowlege of 'using' software, and just wants a quick blast on the old amiga emulator, for example!!
The gamebase.uae settings are so easy to get wrong.

Nice work on getting the screenshot window to be resizeable ... hopefully with drag/pull bars and not editing ini's?
Regards, (and much Kudos), Arthur
K.C.
Cool Member
Cool Member

Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:30 am

Jimbo wrote:Other (unmentioned) tweaks planned:

- Let you set the GBGame folder location.
Yes, forgot to mention that one!
And (optionally) remove the folder after closing the frontend.
Belgarath
Keen Member
Keen Member

Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:17 am

Jimbo wrote:
More fields definitely
OK, I don't have the time to let you add an arbitrary number of fields, or to change GameBase to allow multiple publishers/coders/musicians etc per game (as separate linked fields). What I can do though, is add some new fields. I'm thinking Graphics artist, game rarity, developer, license (commercial/public domain/freeware etc), plus a weblink field for the game info, and a weblink field for the version info tab (could be used as a download link for example). Might have a few more yes/no fields too.

How does that sound. Would that be enough fields for now? Of course you can always change the meaning/name of them via the ini file.
that sounds absolutely brilliant :D
Jimbo
GB64 Team

Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:40 pm

Nice work on getting the screenshot window to be resizeable ... hopefully with drag/pull bars and not editing ini's?
No editing inis, you just resize or maximise the window.
it is possible to use the access database without needing it to create a ldb (IE run it from optical media).
I use 'DAO' in VB6 which doesn't open the database in the exact format in the weblink you posted, but I'll check to see if its possible tonight. Of course I'll have to skip writing to the db (e.g. times/last played stats) in this case also, so its a bit more work but should be doable. A lot of frontend features would be disabled too, such as any editing of fields, or creation/changes/removal of views. Then there's the GEMUS scripts - all the Set_INI_Value() etc functions won't work...
hardmanm
Cool Member
Cool Member

Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:06 pm

Would adding more fields not create compatability issues with older gamebases?

Any chance of letting you change the filename of a gamefile within the add gamefile screen? You can do this for screenshots already.
Gamebase Developer
Jimbo
GB64 Team

Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:10 pm

There would be no compatibility issue because GB would update the database to the newer version when it first loads (e.g add the new fields, setting them to default values). Once converted though, you won't be able to run the database on older versions of GameBase. This has always been the case though, when making structure changes to the db - it always requires the minimum version of GameBase that made the db changes.

I'll look into editing the filename in the game selector window.
hardmanm
Cool Member
Cool Member

Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:42 am

When do you think it will be finished for release? Im currently working on a new big project, and would like it released for the new full version.
Gamebase Developer

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”