Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

NEW COMMODORE

This is the place for your GB64.COM feature requests and bug submissions!

Moderator: Jimbo

64user

NEW COMMODORE

Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:49 pm

:idea: WHY DOESN'T SOMEBODY MAKE A NEW, UPDATED COMMODORE 64 GAMES CONSOLE WITH MODERN FEATURES.
THEY HAVE DONE IT WITH THE NINTENDO :!:
gklinger

Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:35 pm

The Commodore 64 wasn't a games console; it was (is) a personal computer. It is worth noting that there was the C64DTV and that some Commodore 64 games are available on the Wii virtual console.
Call me Golan; my parents did.
64user

Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:56 pm

8) YES O.K. YOU ARE RIGHT, IT IS A PERSONAL COMPUTER, BUT MY POINT IS, IT'S NOT AS POPULAR AS IT WAS AND I WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOMEBODY PRODUCE A NEW MODEL AND MAKE IT POPULAR AGAIN.
sixstringmonk

Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:43 pm

Why are you typing in all caps? Did you make your post from a C64?
Neo-Rio
GB64 Team

Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:25 am

Get yourself a PSPSlim, hack the firmware, and then install PSPVice onto a memory stick (at least 1GB in size).

Then convert the entire gamebase into zip files with the appropriate tool.

And there you go - the complete Gamebase 64 playable in the palm of your hand.
romppainen

Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:38 am

One of those mini laptops will also do the thing pretty nicely, I use Acer One with Stelladaptor myself.
qlue

Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:09 pm

Acer Aspire One A110 running Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix. All you do then is download VICE with the Synaptic Package Manager and install the rom images. (ask me if you need those) And you have all the Commodore range including the Commodore 128 the Vic20 the Commodore PET The Commodore plus4
It's got everything and it comes with virtual cartridges built in. :D
MontyRun

Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:47 pm

Yes, I understand your question. Whey we don't get a new commodore machine. The problem I suppose is that the C64 is so old that it is in gerneral no possible to take some parts of technic into a new Computer system. But Ok what would be possible? I suppose the basic was interesting, a combination with some syntax of the Final Cartridge could be a core to make new operating system. But this would be a command line interpreter system. A graphical system which could be used is not to see. GEOS was too unflexible. So you would make a new concept of a new Computersystem, so this would not make sense today. It would be nonsense. :(
Skull2K

Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:07 am

There is the Commodore Gaming machine, but that's just a glorified Windows box.

I would love to see a new Commodore OS, but there's no "Commodore" to put forth the effort.

I was also looking forward to AmigaOne, but that unfortunately never made it out of the vapor/BS stage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AmigaOne).

Alas, we are still Windows, Mac, Linux (mainstream -- I know there are other OSs still).
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:00 am

Neo-Rio
GB64 Team

Open Pandora

Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:56 pm

This is a device made by hobbyists that is essentially a laptop the size of a Nintendo DS, but with gaming controls.

Supply of these machines is very very limited as production has been held up for years, but these problems look as if they will be sorted out in early 2011.

And yes, there is a port of VICE available for it
(as well as a lot of other emulators)
In addition you can run a linux desktop on it.

http://www.openpandora.org/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLYBDoNhfqc
merman
Cool Member
Cool Member

Re: Open Pandora

Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:53 am

Neo-Rio wrote:This is a device made by hobbyists that is essentially a laptop the size of a Nintendo DS, but with gaming controls.

Supply of these machines is very very limited as production has been held up for years, but these problems look as if they will be sorted out in early 2011.

And yes, there is a port of VICE available for it
(as well as a lot of other emulators)
In addition you can run a linux desktop on it.

http://www.openpandora.org/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLYBDoNhfqc
Actually, many of the people involved in the company that made the GP32 and GP2X portable devices are working on Pandora, so it's not really a "hobbyist" machine...

Return to “The GB64 Website”