Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Anyone Using A REAL C64?

This is the place for your GB64.COM feature requests and bug submissions!

Moderator: Jimbo

Hanzi

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:01 am

Both too, got 2 breadboxes and 1 c64c , 2 drives and 2 casetteplayers with lots of original games plus some boxes with cracked games on floppies. I use Vice and CCS64 the most.
markimusk

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:31 am

Just thought I'd chime in, I'm a new user and this is my first post here.

I started using emualtors early 1990's (if you don't count the one I still have on my Atari ST (from Germany I think))

Though the emulators are wonderful, I really prefer the real thing, I suppose because that's what I grew up with. Now I'm having problems, my C128 has a key problem (the '.' key) which I've tried to fix for months, no dice, but I can get it working with the key cap off, go figure.

I had this paired with a 1541 II drive that worked beautifully for at least 10 years, I loved that thing! Well, it just died too. The mechanism that hold the disk just fell apart. I took it apart and could find nothing that I could fix, what a let down that was...

No problem I said! I've got 2 regular C64's, my Fastload cart and three 1541's

Well, my first C64 has no sound at all. My 3 1541's? only one of them works, the rest need to be re-aligned Im guessing and I don't know how to do that.

The second C64 started giving me random error messages in BASIC (the sound worked fine though!) And when I mean random error messages, I'm not kidding, I'm 43, I've seen a lot of things...

So, that kind of freaked me out, I'm probably down to: 2 Commodore 64's, one without sound, the other really wonky and just one 1541 drive that works... It's getting real chancy...

And back on topic, we were talking about emulation vs. the real hardware, I think both are great, but I will have to put myself in the "real hardware camp".

I'd love to get a C128D with a proper monitor... failing that, I'd love a totally woking C128. Failing THAT, I'd love a C64C, I love that form factor and have never had one.

Having said that, my entire point being is that the physical stuff is getting less reliable and harder to find.

Markimus of K.
Neo-Rio
GB64 Team

Mon May 12, 2014 3:12 am

The keyboards are fairly easy to fix. You just have to get it out of the case. Unscrew all the tiny little screws on the bottom, temporarily desolder the shift/lock key (and the other lock key if it's a C128), then get a rubber eraser and isoporopyl alcohol, and rub the keyboard contacts on the circuitboard with the eraser, and then clean it with alcohol.
Put it all back together and the keyboard should feel as good as new.

Return to “The GB64 Website”