Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Anyone Using A REAL C64?

This is the place for your GB64.COM feature requests and bug submissions!

Moderator: Jimbo

ArcadeGamer

Anyone Using A REAL C64?

Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:12 pm

Does anyone here play these games on an actual Commodore 64, or are you all using emulators? I have downloaded a few games and most work after transferring them to a Floppy, but there have been a few that continue to give me trouble. Where In Time is Carmen Sandiego for example. Any ideas? :cry:
K.C.
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:11 pm

I'm using both.
I've got GameBase64 installed on my PC and play games in an emulator, but nothing beats playing on original hardware.

I've found out a way to transfer the currently selected game from the GameBase frontend to a real floppy with a single mouseclick. I call it GBXfer.

Finding a game between hundreds of floppies or manually converting to D64 and transferring to disk are quite complicated and time consuming.

For example, if you want to play a game from the GameBase collection on a real C64, you have to do this:
- Find the ZIP file that contains the game you want to play
- Extract the ZIP file
- Many games are in T64 format. They have to be converted to .PRG or .D64.
- Transfer the .PRG or .D64 file to floppy with an OpenCBM command or a GUI for OpenCBM

My script automates these steps. Just browse to a game in GameBase, right click Play Game and click Transfer to Disk.

For instructions how to make this work, read this.
ArcadeGamer

Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:35 pm

K.C. wrote:I'm using both.
I've got GameBase64 installed on my PC and play games in an emulator, but nothing beats playing on original hardware.

I've found out a way to transfer the currently selected game from the GameBase frontend to a real floppy with a single mouseclick. I call it GBXfer.

Finding a game between hundreds of floppies or manually converting to D64 and transferring to disk are quite complicated and time consuming.

For example, if you want to play a game from the GameBase collection on a real C64, you have to do this:
- Find the ZIP file that contains the game you want to play
- Extract the ZIP file
- Many games are in T64 format. They have to be converted to .PRG or .D64.
- Transfer the .PRG or .D64 file to floppy with an OpenCBM command or a GUI for OpenCBM

My script automates these steps. Just browse to a game in GameBase, right click Play Game and click Transfer to Disk.

For instructions how to make this work, read .
This is great, thank you for the information! I do not actually mind the manual work of transferring to disk. I still am having trouble getting some the games to work. Let us just focus on Where In Time is Carmen Sandiego. It seems to work fine in the emulator, but when you transfer it to a disk it no longer works.

I have tried using both CBMXfer and Star Commander to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. :D
ForgottenSteel

Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:36 pm

I have a C64 in the basement I still play on alot :D.
romppainen

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:55 pm

I use emulator only when I gotta take a quick look on something, real thing is real thing and 1541U eliminates most of the transferring hassle. I don't have complete GB64 in SD card tho, just in PC's hard drive, but when I find some new interesting titles during browsing the archive I just extract and add them to the card from time to time - 1 minute job. If some images don't work from emulated drive I copy them to real floppies with C64 and some suitable dual drive copier.

Garrettimus

Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:21 pm

I use a real C64 I bought of off eBay UK.
Last edited by Garrettimus on Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garrettimus

Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:22 pm

romppainen wrote:I use emulator only when I gotta take a quick look on something, real thing is real thing and 1541U eliminates most of the transferring hassle. I don't have complete GB64 in SD card tho, just in PC's hard drive, but when I find some new interesting titles during browsing the archive I just extract and add them to the card from time to time - 1 minute job. If some images don't work from emulated drive I copy them to real floppies with C64 and some suitable dual drive copier.
Nice setup you´ve got there, congratulations. Where are you from?
romppainen

Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:39 pm

Garrettimus wrote:Nice setup you´ve got there, congratulations. Where are you from?
Thanks!

I'm from Finland. I've been revamping my workroom quite a lot recently so in its current form it differs a lot from that picture, just gotta sort out some finishing bits here and there.
Garrettimus

Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:25 pm

romppainen wrote: I'm from Finland. I've been revamping my workroom quite a lot recently so in its current form it differs a lot from that picture, just gotta sort out some finishing bits here and there.
That´s cool. I´m from Brazil. Greetings!

:D
Moonsweeper

Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:19 pm

Most of the time, I play the games using an emulator. However, on rare occasions, I reactivate my real C64 and start playing my personal favorites from my childhood. When experiencing issues with a certain game on emulators, this also makes me switch over to the real C64.
Lobogris

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:03 pm

I use both too :D
Taff64
Keen Member
Keen Member

Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:16 pm

I use the real thing of course. You just cant't beat it! I also run all my games through the 1541 Ultimate II cart which is probaly the best piece of kit for it... :D :D :D
Conj

Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:37 pm

I'm hoping to pick up a real C64 some time in the next few weeks. Along with a 1541 Ultimate II. :D
McDeath

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:51 am

Just last month I finished copying some of my old Adventure Construction Set Games (actual finished and partially finished adventures, Time warp, Dungeon of Death, Castle of Darkness, Red Rock, Crazy Everings World).

I plan to send these to gamebase via Matt if he is still available. If not I'll see what I can do. I have something done with the Demon Stalkers construction set also.

I really rather liked what Electronic Arts did by having construction sets:

ACS
Demon Stalkers
Ultimate Wizard
Racing Destruction set
shootem up set
boulder dash etc.
May thy inkwell never dry and your parchments not fade away.
merman
Cool Member
Cool Member

Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:24 am

laoniu wrote:I still play on alot icon_biggrin.gif.
laoniu is a spambot, copying text from earlier posts...

Return to “The GB64 Website”