Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

First Beta (v0.1) of GBPlayer by AAG released

Discuss any other databases that use the GameBase Frontend, whether in pre development, development or publically released.

Moderator: Jimbo

AAG

First Beta (v0.1) of GBPlayer by AAG released

Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:33 pm

Hi

I'm developing a new GUI to Gamebase, and to celebrate Gamebase Amiga's 2nd birthday - I decided to release the work so far.

Download from :-

http://gbplayer.xiik.net/

GBPlayer will not trash your existing Gamebase installation! It's a completely separate exe/dll (which happens to use the same paths as Gamebase).

There's a few interesting features (multiple columns, custom background, fonts, subsearching.) See the "Getting Started" section from the website.

The new dll IS the publically available 1.1 source code (Gemus, gbsql) merged into a new dll - as I haven't been able to obtain the 1.2 source.

Installation :- just a case of copying a few files to the right dir and running a batch file. Uninstall :- run a batch file and delete the files - no harm done.

There's no additional VB runtime, .NET framework or c++ runtimes needed.

Although the homepage says just GB Amiga and ST are supported - as long as you don't need the roms unzipping (and rezipping) - then it should also work with ANY gamebase database. The only ADDITIONAL STEP you'll need t make when you run for the first time is to right click and "edit" - create a "new profile" and set that as the default profile.

Comments/suggestions welcome!

Thanks
Pugsy
GB64 Team

Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:41 pm

Nice work, I downloaded it a few days ago - saw a post over on the Atari forums. When I installed it though it wouldn't work till I rebooted (in the habit of hibernating PC all the time).

Can't get it to work with GB64 though comes up with " 'SShotWidth' is not a valid integer value.' straight after clicking the GBC_v05 icon. Seems to work fine with GB Amiga and GBST though I've got a small observations from the first 10 mins of use.

There seems to be an issue with the columns I added Software House/Publisher & Year Published columns and ended up with two extra columns with the same information in a different order. Eg Software House/Publisher column was Ocean, 1989 and the next column for Year Published was 1989, Ocean.

Impressive for 0.1
Gamebase64 Team Member http://www.gamebase64.com
Ex-freelance cheat listing/pokes contributer to Zzap, CF, CU & ACE
MAME Cheat File Maintainer http://www.mamecheat.co.uk
AAG

Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:06 pm

Hi

Thanks for the feedback.

GBPlayer 0.1 was just released with "profiles" fo GBSt and GB Amiga. It will work with other databases, see below :-
Although the homepage says just GB Amiga and ST are supported - as long as you don't need the roms unzipping (and rezipping) - then it should also work with ANY gamebase database. The only ADDITIONAL STEP you'll need t make when you run for the first time is to right click and "edit" - create a "new profile" and set that as the default profile.
So for GB64 - although you'll be able to view the games, you will not be able to play them (as unzipping isn't in there yet). Also I haven't implemented the "short filename" stuff for the music player.
There seems to be an issue with the columns I added Software House/Publisher & Year Published columns and ended up with two extra columns with the same information in a different order
This is a bit weird in GBPlayer - but this is in the original Gamebase code. If you try adding the 2nd column in Gamebase you'll get the same results. I'll modify this in the next GBPlayer release though.

Thanks
AAG

GBPlayer new release

Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:19 pm

Hi

GBPlayer version 0.5 is now available from http://gbplayer.xiik.net/ - much later than l had planned/hoped for.

(This version is really what the initial release should have been).

The first screenshot from the GBPlayer website really sums up what this new UI to Gamebase is all about.

Main features

Should now support any gamebase database - including c64.
Multi-column selection, in order of preference, and ability to save/database.
Plugins - For C64 "gb64.com" and "Lemon c64" websites are searched for the currently selected game.
Background images no longer have to be tiled.
The docs on the website have ben updated.

Enjoy!

Feedback welcome - as well as any decent looking "profiles"!
sut
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:03 pm

Just downloaded the latest version (0.5) and it absolutely fantastic.
If you use Gamebase you NEED this. Awesome stuff
FaberfoX

Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:48 am

AAG, I've tried downloading your frontend now and about 2 weeks ago but only got an empty dir page at your posted link, do you have an alternate?
Also, have you used xbmc? how about joining them? ;)
There are slowly ongoing plans to integrate a games frontend on it and I think gamebase would fit just right.
AAG

Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:55 pm

The gbplayer site is kindly hosted by eLowar (from gamebase amiga).

Unfortunatley that server suffered from a hd error - which effected the gb amiga downloads and also gbplayer.

The new server has been up for a few weeks now - I've just been busy with other stuff and haven't had the time to re-upload the files.

I was also working on the next version of gbplayer - which incorporated a few of user42 ideas - which is around 90% complete - so I've been waiting until I get time to finish the next version of gbplayer, then update the html/screenshots, and then re-upload.

If your after the download for gbplayer (not the "packs") , then send me a personal message - and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks

AAG

PS No I haven't used xbmc - I'll take a look when time permits.

Its the GEMUS scripting language which I think separates Gamebase to other mult-emulator launchers, but that was James burrows ideas - not mine! I just though the UI could do with some updating - and it seems some people liked it, othe didn't!

I would like to expand some parts of gemus though - ie the %gamefile% - so that you could use tosec naming convetions - rather thanthe current renaming with a _1,_2 or _A,_B in the filename.
user42
Keen Member
Keen Member

Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:07 am

Looking forword to the new release. 8)
AAG

Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:07 pm

Hi

The website is back up - http://gbplayer.xiik.net/

There's a "latest beta" - in whic you can download the latest/stable beta and also the "packs/themes" as kindly supplied by user42.

As/when time permits - I'll finish the beta and release the next official version.

Thanks
dreamon

Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:42 am

sorry for bumping an old topic, but do you guys have any working links for GBPlayer?

Return to “Other GameBase Projects”