Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Loading Disk ROMs

This is the place for your GB64.COM feature requests and bug submissions!

Moderator: Jimbo

ArmakuniVsKunitoki

Loading Disk ROMs

Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:40 pm

Hi there

I'm new to this forum but I have a question about downloading and playing the disc images from GB64. When I try to load them up with WINVice, some of them work OK, but the majority don't load up. It's very hit and miss for me and none of the downloads I try are marked as bugged or broken. I was wondering if anyone knew if there was maybe some configuration or something I have to enable in the settings. I'm not familiar with C64 disk drives, as I only ever owned a datasette so I have been preferring to play tape roms, as these have been 99% successful. But I'd like to be able to play disks too. Any help would be appreciated.
Mayhem
GB64 Team

Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:23 pm

Enable "True Drive Emulation" in Vice and try them again.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
ArmakuniVsKunitoki

Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:26 pm

Thank you for the response Mr Mayhem, I managed to sort it, The drive emulation was always set to true. I had Vice 2.0 so tried to see if there was a newer version (which there was) so I got 2.2, and the disks worked just fine. Just for curiosity I scrolled down the configuration text document and compared it to my old one, it turns out there were two little culprits to my problem. IEC device 8=0 was 1 and Drive8Type = 1541 was 0. Still no idea what this means but I'm up and running WOOHOO! :) BTW This is the best C64 site out there.
Hidron
Cool Member
Cool Member

Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:51 pm

Glad to hear you got things working. There is actually a 2.3 version of Vice now though. I tried to link, but apparantly I haven't posted enough to allow it.
Mayhem
GB64 Team

Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:24 pm

The latter I assume means that the emulator was thinking device 8 was something other than a 1541 disk drive...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Return to “The GB64 Website”