Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Alf In The Color Caves bugged

This is the place for your GB64.COM feature requests and bug submissions!

Moderator: Jimbo

eksosrock

Alf In The Color Caves bugged

Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:43 pm

Hi

The file of Alf In The Color Caves that you have here at Gamebase seems to be bugged.
When you try to make Alf go through the pipe that swings around, the game crashes.
I have only tested it in Vice 1.20
The t-64 file over at Dohi's site seems to work though.
Mayhem
GB64 Team

Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:09 pm

Just tried it myself, and yes, it does go a bit funny. The original cartridge dump (provided by myself) present in the collection works fine however. A possible hiccup introduced with the packing?
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Michael Plate
GB64 Team

Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:09 pm

Thanks for the bug report!

Sadly even the version on Dohi's page is faulty - just go through the moving tube several times. Damn, so far I was not able to locate a working version. Seems like someone needs to do a proper crack!

Matt, the problems have nothing to do with packing. Most cartridge games have a "hidden" protection in writing to the memory address area where they are located in. If you start them from a ROM media (cartridge) nothing bad can happen but if you put them in the RAM, they randomly self destruct after some time.

/Michael
swolff

Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:28 pm

Michael Plate wrote:Sadly even the version on Dohi's page is faulty
Did a quick investigation. The version in GB appears to be a compressed version of the one at Dohi's site, corrupting yet a few more bytes :(

Even the (original?) crack at Dohi's has, among other discrepancies, an obvious error (a $55 byte at $a000, revealing that the memory test ROM routine has been run before saving the data), which corrupts the animation when going left into the swinging tube.

I've done a clean crack from the V3 cartridge dump. I didn't see any trace of protection per se. I did, however, see a neat little animation system virtual machine, complete with subroutine calls :)

If you're interested, I'd be happy to send my (untested) version your way.

/Stefan
Michael Plate
GB64 Team

Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:30 am

swolff wrote:I've done a clean crack from the V3 cartridge dump. I didn't see any trace of protection per se. I did, however, see a neat little animation system virtual machine, complete with subroutine calls :)

If you're interested, I'd be happy to send my (untested) version your way.
Hi Stefan,

please send it to our help address which is help*gb64.com (*=>@).

One quick way to check for any "protections" is to fill the whole RAM with a special pattern and play the cartridge image for a while. Afterwards one can easily see what memory areas have been used by the game.

/Michael
swolff

Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:14 am

I asked Vice to watch writes to the RAM-under-ROM area and didn't encounter any (except for the kernal RAM check routine).

I'll send the game to you soon.

Thumbs up for all the work done on GB64. Looking forward to V4!

/Stefan (aka Jox/WOW)
swolff

Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:24 pm

I just sent the game to the address you mentioned. Completely forgot about it until today -- sorry.

/j0x

Return to “The GB64 Website”