Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Magdarr - Alternate Game

This is the place for your GB64.COM feature requests and bug submissions!

Moderator: Jimbo

McDeath

Magdarr - Alternate Game

Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:03 pm

I'm quite pleased that you have Dungeons of Magdarr in your database, but I was wondering if you're working on getting the slightly updated version called "Search for Magdarr". It's pretty close to the original (in play) with different maps, a few new features, and a couple of different creatures. I have the original disk and documentation. Let me know if you have plans to release this game or would like it in the database.
Last edited by McDeath on Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
J2003C
GB64 Team

Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:57 pm

I had never heard of the game before. We would love to get a copy, an original disk copy, and documentation. Any help on the info for Dungeons of Magdarr would also be helpful. If you have athe hardware needed to make a copy, please send a d64 to help[at]gb64.com Doc scans can also be sent. If you don't have the hardware to make an mnib copy (or don't know what I'm talking about), post again and some other team members can figure out how to get the original disk copied.
-J2010C-
McDeath

Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 am

The best I'll be able to do is send a copy or original disk & documentation via snail-mail. It might take a while as I'll have to go through the closet to pull out the ol machine and disks.
Mayhem
GB64 Team

Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:21 am

No problem, we have people who can handle this :)

Where in the world are you (so we can determine whom best to help you out)?
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
McDeath

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:59 am

I live in Veneta, Oregon......not terribly far from the Oregon Coast. My po is:

PO Box 1318
Veneta, Oregon 97487

I've finished getting the copy of Serach for Magdarr ready. I found a few other minor programs as well that you didn't have listed. Among them are the following:

Amphibian (yet another frogger type game with a slight difference)

Skiing! (a skiing game different from what you have perhaps an Ahoy program)

Earthquake (a game where you guess where the ball will fall)

Dice Maker or is it Master "DM" (a dice rolling program typed out by my Dad. We used it for rolling quick D&D characters back in the days).

Lotto 64 - a lottery determination game of some sort.

I've played a few other games that are in the database and noticed that there are a few errors as well. Death Bringer does not work at all. I'm not sure if it is due to how it was cracked or the special intro before the game starts. So I threw in a fresh copy of Death Bringer (both sides & Save Disk) as well.

Standing Stones needs fixing as well. The version I downloaded is definitely wrong as xp & gold are given in way too large amounts. Also, the ending is not there (there was a back side to the disk which featured The Old Man, the Dragon, and of course ....... THE GRAIL). I sent you a fresh copy of that as well (the password is simply a tap on the return key - the same with the characters).

Your version of Black Magic is also flawed. I think the trainer screws up the game so you can't access the second part of the adventure (after collecting all the eyes). It also doesn't make the game challenging as I don't think you're really given a choice about the cheat (I hit no and my character was still immortal. That and no matter how much food he collected it never registered). I threw in a copy of that also.

And finally, I had a spare ORIGINAL of Questron that I'm going to send you (Only 1 character on it - finished the game). I noticed you had a g64 file for questron and wondered if you could convert the ORIGINAL I'm sending into a d64 file. On the various other sites their versions of Questron is flawed and doesn't let you gamble or go into the dungeons.

I don't think Earth Shaker, Skiing!, or Amphibian allow fast loaders (cartridge or otherwise). I know that questron forbids such usage. I'll include docs (probably photocopies/scans) of Magdarr & Lotto (There is none for Earthquake, DM, Skiing!, or Amphibian).

And that's about it for right now.

----edit----

Later I'll send maps of both Magdarrs & Monster listings per level as a bonus.
Mayhem
GB64 Team

Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:30 am

Cheers for all that :)

Regarding Questron, quite often the only way to get a game to work without cracking it is to run the G64. It handles extra copy protection information contained on the disk that a D64 often loses.

If no one has found a 100% of cracking it properly (currently an issue with Exile) then the G64 is the only way to play it.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
J2003C
GB64 Team

Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:59 pm

The GBC is based upon CCS64 v2.0 compatibility, so you may see "buggy/broken" games if you use VICE. You should also consider getting GameBase for your PC so you have the proper setting available to you offline. Death Bringer requires NTSC and (only in VICE) needs True Drive Emulation. Black Magic, by default, does not load the trained version; the trained version is always-trained and is only included because the preferred version has no trainer at all.

Thanks for offering all the help. Although I am the closest person to you (in California), I believe Matt in Colorado has the proper equipment to make a 100% disk copy (I only have a X1541 cable). Matt, please come in... over.
-J2010C-
McDeath

Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:30 pm

I just remembered another game from my past (when I was in grade school) ,looked in the old disk pile, and finally found it (in heaps of disks that were to be erased --- non-working copies of games). Memory Castle by Sunburst. It's a simple remember game with a slight medieval spin. It is thus copied and put on the reverse side of the Search for Magdarr disk.
May thy inkwell never dry and your parchments not fade away.
J2003C
GB64 Team

Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:28 am

Cool! I think that there was a stronger C64 following outside of the US in the mid-late 90's until present. I found many games in my collection that nobody had ever heard of before. My wife tells me about many of the Turkish games she used to play (in Turkish) that we don't have, so I guess there are a lot of regional games that didn't spread very far from home. I assume that's probably true in your case too.
-J2010C-
McDeath

Magdarr Tips

Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:43 pm

Never buy more than 1,000 darts/arrows. The game will eventually crash when you go to your rooms to save. Make sure you didn't save the emulator after buying all those. A good trick no matter what level your wizard is deal with the death darts spell. When confronted by a group of creatures and you select W for wizard spell attack don't type 1 for death darts. Instead hit the space bar. There is a slight chance that you'll get maximum or near maximum damage to wipe out all the enemies (of course you only get one blast instead of the customary 3 death dart blast).

I was doing pretty good until I screwed up my save and ended up with too many darts. Talk about a pain.
McDeath

Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:17 am

Well, all I need now is a place to ship the disks to (actually, I've just been waiting patiently for the bloke in Colorado to reply). Once I've got a place to send them to they'll be off. In the meanwhile, I think I'll try to finish the Dungeons of Magdarr & finish recorind helpful info about the game. I'll redraw the maps & write a simple walkthrough to the game (along with hints). I'll do the same for Search for Magdarr.

Note about the manuals --- When I got Search for magdarr, it came with the Dungeons of Magdarr manual & a small type out for the changes in Search. So that should be the complete manual for both games. Probably best if I just scan them and send via email (simple black & white lettering and no color pictures ...... actually almost no pictures).
McDeath

Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:40 pm

The original manuals are finished (with a little editing & comments). Next I'll write up my personal expansion about things I've found out about both games. It should compliment the manuals nicely and answer a few questions that might have lingered. Then I'll type up a quick command summary card for both games. And finally I'll try to get those maps done. I'm using Dungeon Forge as I think that is a really nice mapping utility.
J2003C
GB64 Team

Mon May 02, 2005 9:47 am

What is Dungeon Forge? I got no releavent hits from Google.
-J2010C-
McDeath

Wed May 04, 2005 4:40 am

Dungeonforge is a mapping utility. When it was determined that Dungeon Crafter wasn't going to be finished anytime soon this program was developed.

Here's a link to both sites:

Dungeonforge

Dungeon Crafter

On a different note here is a program project that wasn't finished that was to redo the engine for Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures:

Dungeon Craft
Matt Larsen
GB64 Team

check your private messages

Wed May 04, 2005 6:14 am

Check your private messages. I have sent my address that you can post the disks you want transferred.

Questron is a .g64 because the protection cannot be duplicated in a .d64, which is why there is not a 100% .d64, even a crack! So no reason to send a copy of the original of it because I would have to copy it into a .g64 anyway in order to make the game work, even with parameters.. The version we have in GB64 is 100%.

Thanks again,

Matt Larsen
Gamebase 64 Team

Return to “The GB64 Website”