Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

GameBase64 v1.3b vs GameBase: Need Help! :(

Are you having problems setting up GB64 on your machine? Ask your questions in here!

Moderator: Jimbo

The Lord of the Flies
Keen Member
Keen Member

GameBase64 v1.3b vs GameBase: Need Help! :(

Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:14 pm

I used to use the GameBase64 frontend to play my C=64 games on WinVICE. I liked the old GameBase64. I'll probably like the new(er) GameBase too...if I can get it to work!...

Until that time comes, though, I'll just continue to use the GameBase64 v1.3b. Seems like that I used to use a newer, updated ready-made database file than the one that came with the installation (of GameBase64 [old frontend]), but I can't find it to download it on your site...um, sites, or maybe don't recognize it, confusing it with one there for use with GameBase, the new frontend.

Ack! I am confused! I've d/led files from all the sites, updates for the files, files for the old frontend, files for the new frontend....

Maybe I should start setting all this up over again from scratch...except for my using of the old GameBase64 v1.3b...with an--seemingly out-of-date database file.... :-/

Please help! {boo-hooing} :cry::cry::cry:
J2003C
GB64 Team

Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:41 am

Download the v02 database from the downloads section. It has 16650 entries and is the latest released database. It si not compatible with GB v1.3b.
-J2010C-
The Lord of the Flies
Keen Member
Keen Member

Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:01 am

Okay.

It seems that the setup-installer was made for you to install it into the newer GB (I have v1.1) but I "installed" it into my GB64 (I have the final v1.3b). When using it there (I dumped the package into C:\Program Files\gamebase64\) the only file one neeeds there is the GBC_v02.mdb, which then you would change the fn of that file to gamebase64.mdb (like the old database file) and then go ahead and delete the other files that were from this install, yes? I'm actually gonna try that now....

{sigh} Ya know I'm prfectly willing to restart the whole process from scratch with the newer GB if I can just get it all setup to work with my C64 emu, SID player, screenshots, etc.... :-I

[Append:] Oh crap! I forgot which files were part of this new install to delete.... :-I :-I :( OOoooowwwww! :cry::cry: {weeping silently}
J2003C
GB64 Team

Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:15 pm

Just reinstall it to a new directory to see which files were new.
-J2010C-
The Lord of the Flies
Keen Member
Keen Member

Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:20 am

I've started fresh. I've uninstalled everything and re-downloaded the GameBase frontend v1.1 (not GameBase64 any version) and the latest C64 GameBase database, "v02". I have the latest WinVICE, v1.15 (now that's easy to set-up & use!), the latest SIDplay2 for Windows, the game screenshots, the musician screenshots, and a few games from Arnold's FTP { ftp://arnold.c64.org/pub/games/ }. (Just in case, I've installed Quick64 when I wanna play a C64 game no prob. [That's a nice little program.] Maybe IT should be a database or somethin'!)

I went to test the GameBase to boot a game. I chose a small one that does not span multiple volumes. I picked 'Wizard of Wor' (the good, classic version) which is a single cartridge, zipped.

When the emu pulled-up, it tried to load it from floppy ,8,1. (It said 'load"WIZARD^1.CRT",8,1' [that's in lowercase/uppercase char. set].) Needless to say, it didn't boot the game...and the little blue cursor blinks.

I went to test the associated SID tune. According to the frontend, it is pointing to the proper SID file {GAMES\S-Z\Wizard_of_Wor.sid in the HVSC} and I pressed--clicked, whatever!--the Play Sid button. I dialog-box from GameBase said ":!: File not found". (Um, the exclamation was actually a triangle.... :I ) What file? The SID file? Probably not as I clicked the SID-file field at the bottom-center of the frontend and, yep, it points to it alright. It must be referring to the SID player file...but I'm really not sure. I thought that I had set, like, the path for that...but I'm not sure of that either any more.... {pant-pant-pant-tired} |-P

I was reading the instructions....

My head hurts. It's foggy now too....

Return to “GB64 Help!”