Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Gamebase cannot detect winvice

Are you having problems setting up GB64 on your machine? Ask your questions in here!

Moderator: Jimbo

KrazyKanuck
Cool Member
Cool Member

Gamebase cannot detect winvice

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:34 pm

Do I need a certain version of WinVice. I'm using 3.2
Hidron
Cool Member
Cool Member

Re: Gamebase cannot detect winvice

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:41 pm

The detection information is stored in the gemus.dat file which is just a text file.

Gamebase uses the CRC32 checksum to verify the execuatables when searching for emulators, so the gemus.dat will just need to be updated to include the checksums for the new version of VICE. I use a program called Hashcalc to get them.

If you are not willing to mess with it yourself, someone will probably post a new gemus.dat file soon. (I didn't even know there was a new version of VICE out)

Other options: (If you are not comforatable with the following choices, you should wait)

-You can generate the checksums yourself, and manually edit the gemus.dat
-The emulators can be added to your setup manually by editing the emulators.ini file.

Edit: looking at it for the first time, it looks like only the 32-bit version is distributed in binary form. I have never compiled my own software, so have no idea if that could affect the checksums.
I have a lot of respect for Gamebase creators, maintainers & supporters.
Mayhem
GB64 Team

Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:11 am

Yes, the versions are detected by CRC checksum. The last version of GB64 was out before VICE 3.2 launched. It will no doubted be added in the next version of the database.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
groepaz

Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:22 pm

using checksums doesnt isnt really a good idea... since they will be different depending on who compiled the .exe, with what options, for what target, with what optimizations.

what exactly is the reason for detecting anyway? it should just work, with any half recent one, no?
Mayhem
GB64 Team

Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:32 pm

So the frontend can add the emulator into the system without the user having to manually do it, that's all.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Return to “GB64 Help!”