Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Frontend-Emulator connection

Are you having problems setting up GB64 on your machine? Ask your questions in here!

Moderator: Jimbo

MattM

Frontend-Emulator connection

Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:42 am

Hi there,

I've downloaded all the files from the download page and chosen CCS64 as emulator. All installed.
I open the emulator setup wizard and point it to the CCS64 directory, then it gives me a list and tells me to select the emulator i wish to setup .... well the latest release of CCS64 (3. eight) is not shown in that list, so i choose 3.7 hoping its backwards compatible. I click on it and point it to the emulator and then poner over the fact that there is no 'next' or 'finish' button at the bottom leaving my only choices as back or abort, both of which simply invalidate the emulation selection.

I thought forget that i'll go and try the other emulator Vice. Installed and tried the emulator wizard again this time using Vice path. Again nothing found and no joy.

If i use CCS64 on its own and simply load up a C64 file its perfectly fine. Though i then get on to the fact that i can't for the life of me work out how to map my keyboard so i can simply use the up, down, left and right keys. Naturally i realise the C64 didnt have the arrow keys but i know i used to map them easy enough for W,A,S,D. All i can do is Shift+2 and run to the right (impossible mission testing) and space bar to change cursor.

Any thoughts on what im doing wrong with gamebase or even just how to map the keyboard would be greatly appreciated.

Matt
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:56 am

in CCS64 to map keyboard press ALT+I for input options.
select option with cursor keys up/down.
change option with cursor keys left/right.

highlight "Control Port 1"
change option to "Joystick"
highlight "Mode"
change option to "Keyset 1"
select "Define Joystick Keyset..." (enter)

chose your direction with ENTER
now press the key you want to use.
repeat for all keys.
when finished press ESC
and do the same for Control Port 2 with keyset 2.
then exit emulator to save your options.

with WINVICE select Settings / Joystick Settings.
and do the same.

if you select cursor keys and space for your joystick keys.
you won't be able to control games that use those keys.

so you might think a game has crashed, when it is just waiting for space to continue.
as the key will be mapped as the fire button.
K.C.
Cool Member
Cool Member

Re: Frontend-Emulator connection

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:28 pm

MattM wrote:Hi there,

I open the emulator setup wizard and point it to the CCS64 directory, then it gives me a list and tells me to select the emulator i wish to setup .... well the latest release of CCS64 (3. eight) is not shown in that list, so i choose 3.7 hoping its backwards compatible. I click on it and point it to the emulator and then poner over the fact that there is no 'next' or 'finish' button at the bottom leaving my only choices as back or abort, both of which simply invalidate the emulation selection.

I thought forget that i'll go and try the other emulator Vice. Installed and tried the emulator wizard again this time using Vice path. Again nothing found and no joy.
In the Gamebase program folder (default is C:\Program Files\GameBase) you will find a text file named GEMUS.DAT.
Open it with Notepad and add the following lines to it:

Code: Select all

¬WinVICE v2.2¬http://www.viceteam.org¬¬x64.exe¬A9BA6DD6¬D64;D71;D80;D81;D82;G64;G41;X64;T64;P00;TAP;PRG;CRT¬Y¬WinVICE.txt¬vice.ini¬
¬CCS64 v3.8¬http://www.ccs64.com¬¬CCS64.exe¬7E5CFCFB¬D64;G64;G41;T64;P00;TAP;PRG;CRT¬Y¬CCS64.txt¬C64.CFG¬
The Emulator Setup Wizard will now recognize CCS64 V3.8 and the 32Bit version of WinVICE 2.2.
MattM

Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:15 pm

Thanks for the help. I'll try the key-mapping later.
Just tried editing the .dat file which saves fine, but when i run gamebase it gives me exactly the same options as before. I've even tried backing the dat file up then having just those two lines in the commodore section ... still gamebase shows me the same list. So i'm assuming that file is somehow not the one populating the list.

Regards
MattM

Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:48 pm

Tried the keyboard mapping today and works with some games which is fine. Still no joy with getting gamebase to pick up the emulator though.
Wotnau the Wizard
Keen Member
Keen Member

Same problem with CCS64 v3.8 here

Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:01 am

Hi, I have the same problem as MattM - can't get CCS 3.8 to work with GameBase, editing gemus.dat doesn't help.
Wotnau the Wizard
Keen Member
Keen Member

Editing the Emulators.ini helps

Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:28 am

Hey MattM, this worked for me, hopefully it will work for you, too! I gave up on trying to teach gemus.dat to about v3.8 and hacked the Emulators.ini file instead.

It can be found in the GBC_v07 folder. Open in notepad and edit it. The following is a copy/paste of what my Emulators.ini looks like now:

[Emulators]
1=CCS64 v3.8
2=
[CCS64 v3.8]
UseShortFilenames=1
SupportedTypes=D64;G64;G41;T64;P00;TAP;PRG;CRT
EmulatorPathFile=C:\Wotnau\C=64\GameBase Data\Emulators\CCS64 V3.8 Official\CCS64.exe
ScriptFile=CCS64.txt
1=C:\Wotnau\C=64\GameBase Data\Emulators\CCS64 V3.8 Official\c64.cfg
UseDefaultTypes=0
WaitFinish=1
2=

Replace
C:\Wotnau\C=64\GameBase Data\Emulators\CCS64 V3.8 Official\ with the path to your copy of CCS64 v3.8 and you might be fine.
Please note that the official release of CCS64 V3.8 is in a folder named "CCS64 v3.8 Offical" (not Official), it cost me some time to notice. :)

Adding VICE would be analogical. The most foolproof variant could be to add an older version and then edit the version-specific parts. Some of the parameters for an older version of VICE and more on editing the .ini file can be found e.g. here: http://www.gb64.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... ight=gemus

Anyway: good luck. :)

Return to “GB64 Help!”