Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

New computer

Are you having problems setting up GB64 on your machine? Ask your questions in here!

Moderator: Jimbo

Omega

New computer

Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:42 pm

Hi,

Within a couple of weeks I'm going to exchange my old, trusty XP desktop with a new computer running Windows 7. BUT will I be able to run Gamebase64, emulators and so on in this new environment? Any advice is most welcome.

-Omega
Me, a dinosaur??? Well I do enjoy the odd game of Dino Eggs...
hzwetsloot

Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:05 pm

Hi Omega,

To my knowledge all Windows versions to date are backward compatible.
For Windows 7 this should also be the case. If the installer installs the Base, half the battle is won, because, should it not run, you can right-click the program (NOT the icon) that starts up GB64, click on "properties" and set compatibility mode to XP.
I'm not sure this setting is then remembered, but if not, you know what to do.

I don't expect this to be needed, though. :-)

Greetings from Holland,
H Zwetsloot
Omega

Thanks

Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:29 pm

Hi

Thanks for your advice

-Omega
Me, a dinosaur??? Well I do enjoy the odd game of Dino Eggs...
joebucci
Keen Member
Keen Member

Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:15 am

Just my 2-Cents...

I'm the kind of guy that would rather 'choose' manually where to place my software. I *hate* "Installers"... just a quirk of mine.

That being said, if you have problems with the "Installer", you might be able to just copy it all from your XP Box to an external flash or hard drive (Keeping the same directory structure of course.)

I "Specifically" do this with the "DOSBox" emulator. I have a 'Work' computer that I download and install to, THEN copy it off to a flash drive, WinRAR it, or whatever. Then I can put it on any machine easily.

Good luck, and enjoy emulating!
Joe Bucci
Mayhem
GB64 Team

Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:58 pm

Having set up Gamebase on a W7 PC recently, then you may need to set security permissions for everything under your username for the Gamebase directory and the GBGAME directory.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Return to “GB64 Help!”