Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Help on how to download a game

Are you having problems setting up GB64 on your machine? Ask your questions in here!

Moderator: Jimbo

NevBartoss

Help on how to download a game

Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:35 pm

Hi everyone,

I used to have a Commodore 64 as a kid and absolutely loved it. Still wish I owned it but now that I have found this website I'm over the moon.

Could someone please give me advice on how to download and set up my computer so I can play my favourite C64 games like Wonderboy and Hounded.

Thanks
merman
Cool Member
Cool Member

Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:00 pm

What you need is an "emulator", a program that tells your PC (or Mac) how to "be" a Commodore 64.

Go to either

www.viceteam.org for VICE - the Versatile Commodore Emulator

or

www.ccs64.com - for the CCS64 emulator

Download and unzip.

(If you are using a Mac, you need to search for a program called Power64, it's shareware but worth it)

Now you need a game file, so search here on the Gamebase site and look to the bottom right of the page for the Download option.

This will give you another zip, I'd suggest you put it in the same folder as the emulator. Unzip to give you a D64 file - this is a "disk image".

Run the emulator by double-clicking the file - x64.exe to run VICE, ccs64.exe to run CCS.

Now you can either drag and drop the D64 file you downloaded into the window to run it, or use the menus to start the game. (File > Auto-start in VICE is the quickest way)

Enjoy!
paul100

Montezum Game

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:16 am

I have downloaded Montezum. When I attempt to play the game, the introduction is all that happens. The game itself never begins.

Please, offer some help.
Thanks.

Return to “GB64 Help!”