Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Change Genres fields in Gamebase

Are you having problems setting up GB64 on your machine? Ask your questions in here!

Moderator: Jimbo

K.C.
Cool Member
Cool Member

Change Genres fields in Gamebase

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:17 pm

I am trying to setup a C64 database that contains everyting except games, demo's and diskmags. It will be a database of Apps, tools, utilities and cartridges.
For this database I want to change the Genres fields, but how can I do that? I can read, but not edit the fields with Access 2003. Is there a way to edit them another way?
Thanks.
J2003C
GB64 Team

Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:26 pm

There is a Text.ini file in the folder where your database is located. YOu can play/experiment with the various settings, but the [MainWindow] and [MainMenus] sections are mostly what you are looking for. There are some menu items and a few other headings/lebels that cannot be changed, but the majority of them can.
-J2010C-
K.C.
Cool Member
Cool Member

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:43 am

J2003C, thanks for your help.
I know that Text.ini file. I already modified some field names to give it another function, but the game genres are unfortunately not stored in the text.ini file. I found out that they are stored in two tables in the MDB file. When I open the MDB file with Access 2003, I can read the contents of this tables (after several Access error messages), but I cannot edit anything.
Because I'm working on a 'gamebase' that doesn't contain any GAMES, I can't do much with genres like 'Adventure - Text only' or 'Shoot 'm Up - horizontal sroller'. I want to change them in genres like 'Sound - Tracker' or 'Text - Word Processor'.
It would be nice that this fields could be edited in GBTools, but I can't find a way to do this.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
J2003C
GB64 Team

Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:59 am

I don't know anything about Access 2003, but using Access 2000 SP-3, I can convert the database to the Access 2000 format. I can edit the PGenres table and/or the Genres table. After editing the tables, try "Compact and Repair" to get rid of nulls and/or trailing spaces that can cause errors and crashes. You should start by just renaming fields using the PGenres table only, not deleting anything.

I know it's not easy, but remeber that the genres are fixed because it is intended as frontend for games (i.e. GameBase), even though it is capable of more.
-J2010C-
K.C.
Cool Member
Cool Member

Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:48 am

Thank you! I will give it a try as soon as I can find a copy of Access 2000 somewhere.
K.C.
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:23 am

I just found out how to change tne genres in Gamebase with Access 2003! 8)
First you have to convert the MDB to Access 2003 format. Then you can open and edit the tables with Access 2003. After editing you can change the format back to Access 2000 and use in again with Gamebase.
So I have a workaround, but I still think it would be nice that it will be possible to change them right from the GB Toolbox. If you want to add a genre in a gamebase for another system and you don't have Access 200x, then you're stuck. :?
Anyway, thanks for your help! :D
J2003C
GB64 Team

Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:38 pm

I believe that the idea was to have genres then sub-genres,so you could select or search by the larger genre category (like "adventure" or "arcade"). Making them editable and searchable was never implemented (obviously). Maybe if GB ever gets an update, then that can be one of the things that gets finished! I have tried to learn the GB code well enough to make changes, but haven't really had the time or skill needed to get anything significant done.
-J2010C-

Return to “GB64 Help!”