Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

HELP!!!

Are you having problems setting up GB64 on your machine? Ask your questions in here!

Moderator: Jimbo

gu

HELP!!!

Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:48 am

I have been trying for the last seven hours to get games to run on my C64 emulator. I have installed the VICE version, because it is the only one that would actually work on my computer.

I have downloaded Might and Magic and The Bards Tale via zip files, I extracted them and tried to run them on the emulator. In M&M, when it asks for disk B, I click Alt-8 and then click on the fileb, and then return to the screen and click return. It then flashes for a minute and then just puts "insert disk B" over and over. I simply cannot get this to work. I can't make it past that insert disk B screen...

Now, when I try to load the Bards Tale, it does nothing at all. I type load"*",8,1 and it loads and then when I type run, nothing happens.

I am a total newbie with this emulation stuff. I am running windows XP, but I am very non-techie. I spent over two hours reading thru the VICE "manual"...I understood NOTHING and it made me nuts. I am tempted to give up on this whole thing, but I would LOVE to go back and play all the old games I used to play on my C64 and C128...like wasteland and impossible mission, and the two I mentioned here...but none of these damn games work when I try to play them.

I really need help. I just don't know what to do or try anymore. I've tried so many different things over the last 7 hours and I am so frustrated, so I would really appreciate any help you guys/gals can offer!

Thanks.
Mayhem
GB64 Team

Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:33 am

Have you tried turning True Drive Emulation on in Vice?
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Matt Larsen
GB64 Team

Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:09 am

It sounds to me like you aren't actually attaching "Disk B" like you should be, which is why the screen keeps telling you to insert disk b.

You shouldn't be clicking on "fileb", you should be attaching a seperate disk image (which is actually another disk side). In gamebase64 this would be called bardstale1-1. You probably still have bardstale1-0 still inserted.

Also you should be attaching bardstale1-1 or inserting bardstale1-1 in vice, and not actually clicking on files within the directory.

Hope that helps,

Matt
Gu

Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:49 pm

Ive never got mght and magic to work
J2003C
GB64 Team

Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:42 am

Might and Magic definitely works, and does require "True drive emulation" to be on in VICE.
-J2010C-
Gu

I have the same problem

Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:35 am

I have the exact same problem with Might and Magic. I am not a newbie, and I am using true drive emulation. I can get to the title screen, but when it asks me to switch to disk B, I do so, and it keeps failing to load. Maybe it's a windows xp thing?
Matt
Keen Member
Keen Member

Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:33 am

might and magic, using vice under xp professional works perfect here.
flipping the disk aswell.
dunno what could be your problem then :?
J2003C
GB64 Team

Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:28 pm

Might and Magic requires True Drive Emulation in VICE (not in CCS64), but since you got to the "insert disk B" screen, you must have figured that out. Maybe you should try the other disks (C or D) as they may be mislabeled if they are not the GB versions. This is not a VICE or XP issue.

Bards Tale also requires True Drive Emulation in VICE. Auto-loading and LOAD"*",8,1 both work. Again, make sure you have the GB version of the game, as this is not a VICE or XP issue.
-J2010C-

Return to “GB64 Help!”