Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Run-time error 91 when playing game

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

little_plugger
Keen Member
Keen Member

Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:36 pm

Hello,

Until recently, whenever I click "Play Game", I get this error:

Code: Select all

Run-time error '91': 

Object variable or With block vatiable not set
I have tried verifying that the games and everything else exist (which they do), works sometimes and at other times it doesn't.

I've also tried to reinstall the VB runtime files, but this did not help solve the problem either.

If you can find a reason why the problem occurs, it would be greatly appricated.
Pugsy
GB64 Team

Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:03 pm

Never seen it myself, but that error looks like it can't find your paths. Make sure the path to the Games folder is correct ...if it still doesn't work try setting the path to the CD with the game images incase you've messed about with the internal dirs.

If there's still no joy...uninstall gamebase and do a full reinstall (that should fix it)
Gamebase64 Team Member http://www.gamebase64.com
Ex-freelance cheat listing/pokes contributer to Zzap, CF, CU & ACE
MAME Cheat File Maintainer http://www.mamecheat.co.uk
daveee65
Keen Member
Keen Member

Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:28 am

Have a look at the following two articles on the Gamebase Frontend forum,
Subject: Game Base Crashes when adding games;
http://www.gb64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412

Subject: Runtime Errors
http://www.gb64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=562

I've a feeling the solution might be lying there :)
Last edited by daveee65 on Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
li
little_plugger2

Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:13 am

Thankyou. :D Your help is appricated.

The messages/links sort of helped.

I can now have CCS/Vice load when I click "Play Game", except it's the wrong game.

Each time I click "Play Game", a different game loads (at random).

Cheers.
daveee65
Keen Member
Keen Member

Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:36 am

Now that is odd :?
Exactly what modifications from the forum links did you make to get to this stage?

If you moved Gamebase to a directory closer to the route have you re-checked your game paths?

Also, try pressing Ctrl-G with a game highlighted. Does the game file match and if you de-select, re-select the Ctrl-G again, is it the same file reference?

At least that will establish whether Gamebase is attempting to start up the correct file. If the Cntrl-G referenced file is consistently correct, then maybe you have a corrupted or deleted gemus script, you could try downloading the file again to fix, or just extract a fresh set of script files from your downloaded zip.
Last edited by daveee65 on Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gu

Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:34 am

Now that is odd
Exactly what modifications from the forum links did you make to get to this stage?
The games are all stored in D:\games, so it can't really be that.

But, i might be able to figure out the answer:-
It works OK if I'm in the "All Games" mode with 16650 games.
Whenever, I click on a hyperlink (the blue text), it causes this problem.

Also, when I did a restart Win XP, detected that the GBC_v02.ldb created a file error problem. Maybe this has something to do with it?
Also, try pressing Ctrl-G with a game highlighted. Does the game file match and if you de-select, re-select the Ctrl-G again, is it the same file reference?
When I do, press Ctrl-G, the dialogue box shows up with the directory listing and everything, with all the zipped files to the right. But the archive status is reading (Error 75,6). Could this be that I recently upgraded to Win v9.0?
daveee65
Keen Member
Keen Member

Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:46 pm

The whole game directory is normally listed when you press Ctrl-G, but one game should be highlighted, which is intended to be the game which gamebase will run. If it is the wrong game, or no game is highlighted it suggests that the Gamebase .mdb file has possibly become corrupt.

Have you checked the 'Filename' field in the Games table using MS Access or equivalent? It should contain the correct file reference. If an incorrect or corrupted name appears here, that will be your problem and it will be a ball-ache to fix each entry.

How about downloading a fresh copy of the database (for GB64 in your case I think), re-installing it and we'll take it from the top? :idea:
Also, when I did a restart Win XP, detected that the GBC_v02.ldb created a file error problem. Maybe this has something to do with it?
Well... there are some clues, but I'm not sure of the suffix;
i.e. As you will know, there is a C64 database currently referenced GBC_v02 , but Gamebase creates .mdb files, not .ldb's
It's fairly obvious there is a relationship, but I don't know what it is.

A quick search on the internet found that ldb is either a 'Lipid Database' :D
...or a debugger associated with ANSI C programs, which might be getting close but Gamebase is written in VB???
Anyway, unless you have been invaded by lipids, I reckon it's fairly safe to say you just have a corrupted database. Again, try the suggestion a couple of para's above.
Gu

ldb files

Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:37 am

An .ldb file is a file that MS Access / Jet DB drivers creates when it has an .mdb file open. It's a 'locking' file.
li
little_plugger.

Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:46 am

The whole game directory is normally listed when you press Ctrl-G, but one game should be highlighted, which is intended to be the game which gamebase will run. If it is the wrong game, or no game is highlighted it suggests that the Gamebase .mdb file has possibly become corrupt.
That's right. The whole game directory is displayed.

For example, when I was on Impossible Mission, and pressed Ctrl+G, on the left I have a directory box with D:\games\i in it, and on the right I have all the game files that start with the letter I.

Here is a screenshot of what I see, without touching anything.

I'm just curious to know why "There was an unexpected error whilst reading from this archive. Path/File access error (Err 75,0)"

When I click on the greyed filename (as per the image), it then changes to blue, it gives me this error: "There was an unexpected error whilst reading from this archive.
Path/File access error (Err 75,6)"

Could it be my WinZip is corrupted?
How about downloading a fresh copy of the database (for GB64 in your case I think), re-installing it and we'll take it from the top?
Yes, I gave that a go, I uninstalled The Gamebase Frontend and GBC and then reinstalled them again, but I still get this Error thing.
daveee65
Keen Member
Keen Member

Re. Run-time error 91 when playing game

Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:13 pm

The window showing IMPMISS1_03731_01.zip highlighted seems to be about right to me.

I don't think Winzip is the problem here but zip-file handling may be.
Correct me if I am wrong someone, but I think Gamebase uses Unzip32.dll and vbzip10.dll to handle the zipped files.
If you don't have either of these in your Gamebase directory, you will need them. They are part of the Info-Zip fileset, but you can find them individually if you search for them at the Dynamic Link Library http://www.dynamiclink.nl/index.htm

On a fresh Gamebase install, Vbrun60.exe should also be located in the Gamebase directory. If you double click on this file, it will install other VB libraries for you.

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”