Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Customizing text.ini

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

Gentlegamer

Customizing text.ini

Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:20 pm

I've used Gamebase for almost a decade, and utilized probably less than 5% of its features. Recently, I started investigating what I could do to customize it for my needs.

I prefer to use a single gamebase for all of my emulated systems. I couldn't find any data field for "system," so I've been cheating and using the programmer for this purpose.

While looking at the wiki and the text.ini file, it's indicated data fields can be renamed, so I though maybe I could rename an unused field to "Systems" for my use. Then I saw there is an entry for Field_System=System.

1. I tried renaming a field to =System, but there was no change.
2. Where does the Field_System=System appear in Gamebase, I cannot find it.
K.C.
Cool Member
Cool Member

Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:56 am

In GameBase, there is no field named Field_System, so probably you created/edited that line.
If you want to change the name of a field, follow this procedure:
  • First, start the GameBase frontend.
  • Look for a field you don't use. Suppose you want to rename the field Graphics to System.
  • Open the file Text.ini inside your GameBase collection folder with a text editor.
  • The Graphics field is represented as "Artist" in the text file. Change the value behind the = sign to System. Never change anything before the '=', these are identifiers that are hard coded to be used by trhe frontend.
    So in this case, you should edit the following lines:

Code: Select all

OLD                               NEW
    ---                               ---
    Field_Artist=Graphics             Field_Artist=System
    Tab_Game_Label_Artist=Graphics    Tab_Game_Label_Artist=System
    Menu_View_SC_Artist=Graphics      Menu_View_SC_Artist=System
    Artists=Graphics                  Artists=System
    Artist=Graphics                   Artist=System
    UpdateArtistBox=Graphics          UpdateArtistBox=System
    CaptionArtist=Select Graphics     CaptionArtist=Select System
    Artists=Graphics                  Artists=System
    ArtistPrompt=Graphics             ArtistPrompt=System

Note that the word "Graphics" is used multiple times in the frontend. All occurences are specified individually in the Text.ini file and need to be changed to the value you want.
    For example, "Graphics" is used in the Games tab of the Details pane, the Game Properties (Ctrl+F1), the title bar of the Edit Graphics window.
Gentlegamer

Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:25 pm

Thanks for the instructions! Now I need to clean out the entries in the Publisher field, but there's no delete function I can see. I assume they are in a text file somewhere.

Also, is there a field or checkbox to indicate collection status? I own many of the games I play through Gamebase, but the only way I can find to designate it usefully is through Favorite, which bolds the entry and allows me to create Collection views for "is favorite"
K.C.
Cool Member
Cool Member

Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:52 am

Gentlegamer wrote:Now I need to clean out the entries in the Publisher field, but there's no delete function I can see. I assume they are in a text file somewhere.
There is indeed no Delete function. One option is to edit unused entries and give it the name you want.
If you want to clear the table completely, you will need to use Microsoft Access. Never delete entries that are in use by one or more game entries and keep the {Unknown} field in the Publishers table.
Additionally you probably need to run the GameBase Toolbox to Scan and Fix the database and compact the database file.
Gentlegamer wrote:Also, is there a field or checkbox to indicate collection status? I own many of the games I play through Gamebase, but the only way I can find to designate it usefully is through Favorite, which bolds the entry and allows me to create Collection views for "is favorite"
No, there isn't. But you can use one of the checkboxes in the Version Info tab (Ctrl+F2) that you don't use. Rename one of them to something like "in my collection" in the Text.ini. file.
You can create a custom view ( [...] button next to "<All Games">") to select the games that are in your collection.

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”