Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

AutoHotKey with GameBase

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

Underfly
Keen Member
Keen Member

AutoHotKey with GameBase

Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:12 pm

I've been writing AutoHotKey scripts to add entries in GameBase, which many are similar, and duplicating Extras constantly is tiresome.

So AutoHotKey scripts is making my life much easier, and noticed about 99% of the things you can do in the Frontend, is possible without a mouse.

But there's just one part, I just cannot find a hot key/short cut type of way for, Extra Editors box where you need to click on that square icon at the left top corner to add a 'New Extra', thats the only time I need to grab the mouse, locate, then click, I've tried tabbing, and almost any keyboard trick I can think off, anyone know, if so please share, it will then make everything so much easier...
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:09 pm

I don't quite understand why you would want to script adding extras. It seems odd to me.

If you want to add the same extra to lots of games, the best way is by editing the MDB file in Microsoft Access 2003.
You can make text files with the Extra Name and data and paste them into the columns 1000's at a time.

Which is what i do when adding a Box Cover for every game.
I don't add them one at a time, i do the whole lot in one go.
Then after verifying files, remove the extra from the games i do not have an box cover for or leave it so i know its still needed.

you should be able to do it via hotkey if you know how to code it.
press ctrl t - open add extras window
activate window 'extras for...'
move mouse pointer to co-ordinates xx,yy and click.
or activate add button maybe possible...

EXAMPLE
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1883 ... n-a-window

Just google script commands, and steel what you need. :wink:
Underfly
Keen Member
Keen Member

Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:10 am

I thought Access 97, was the only version you can use to edit a MDb file GB uses, the rest come across simplity demands you upgrade of just view it as it is, but in read-only mode, now you say 2003 works, after I just crippled my 64bit XP OS, just installing access 97.

Nvm, I try 2003, attempted this thing before, but must be missing some infomation after I keep crippling up my MDB trying to mass changes to it.

Other than that, there is a way for AutoHotKey to mimic mouse control, just another thing I just might have to start learning..
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:06 pm

Yes Access 2003 is the best version by far for Gamebase.
You might need to convert old '97 mdb files to 2003.
Both versions will work in GameBase.

The later version of Access in "MS Office 2007 (Blue Version)" also works but is more bloated. This maybe more compatible in 64bit. (but i am not sure.)

Everytime you double click on a MDB file to open it in Access, it will display a security warning. This is normal, just click "Open"
and you are free to edit it.

And yes disable MS updates, you don't need them for Gamebases.
they are mainly checking if you have a pirate copy or not. :P

If you paste a 1000 lines of data into the name column.
The main thing to remember is, all the other columns need the GameBase default values not the Access defaults.
Examples
MU_Id = 38
PU_Id = 37
DI_Id = 8
CR_Id =8

The best way to avoid errors is to create a Blank MDB with a thousands of lines with the default values to copy into your working Gamebase file. Then paste the other columns risk free.

After every edit session you must always scan and fix errors with the GBToolbox. Or it will crash GameBase.

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”