Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

GB uses 50% of resources as it waits to rezip.

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

Underfly
Keen Member
Keen Member

GB uses 50% of resources as it waits to rezip.

Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:08 am

I was wondering why my games fall behind and lag a lot, then I open task manager to see what application is hogging it, and it appears GameBase itself is the corrupt.

When I launch a game, the dialog box comes up 'waiting for emulator to close...", its constantly hogging around 45-55% of my system resources as it waits for it to close, leaving little cpu for the games themselves.

Quite annoying, this only happens when the box appears then until I close the game, so for now had to switch it off and go back to the old way of having to rezip my saved games manually, so I can enjoy the full CPU for them.

I using a dual core AMD 8Gig RAM Windows 7 64bit system, I haven't tested it or noticed if this lag happens on my other machines yet, but they are all much the same OS and hardware.

Anyone have any ideas why GB uses this much in this "idle" state, and if there's some work around?
K.C.
Cool Member
Cool Member

Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:26 am

A workaround is to disable re-packing of game files after closing the emulator.
In the Gamebase frontend, click Tools, choose "<Gamebase Name> Options" or press Ctrl+U.
Click the tab Games and de-select "Repack unpacked games after playing (if changed)".
Underfly
Keen Member
Keen Member

Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:56 am

Yeah, I done that, it fixes it, but unfortunately that just turns off the great feature completely. (No more saving Hi-scores, etc.) Just tested this out on my other PCs and yes, they all let GB hog 50%, it's unnoticable with less demanding emulators like WinVice, but emulators like DOSBox and WinUAE, need more power.

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”