Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Merging Databases?

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

boomer12k

Merging Databases?

Fri May 21, 2004 6:03 am

I have two C64 databases. The GBC mdb, and my C64 mdb.
Is it posible to merge the two together to show in the Frontend?
If so, how? If not, Why not?

Thanks.
Boomer12k
:?
daveee65
Keen Member
Keen Member

Re. Merging Databases?

Fri May 21, 2004 3:08 pm

A similar problem has been discussed earlier on this forum under 'importing publishers lists between dbs'. You might want to check there.
http://www.gb64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=430

Still, I've an update on the subject.
First, if you search through the source files for Gamebase 1.0, it seems there is an importer in development, but it's not yet implemented - requires further work...Can anyone help with this? - Gamebase is now open source!

Second, if you have MS Access, it can be done. I just checked this quickly, so you will need to experiment...& backup files will be essential.
Here is a mini-guide:-

* Open MS Access and convert your Master database to the latest Access version (Tools -> Database Utilities -> Convert Database)
* Now open your master database
*Click File -> Get External Data -> Import' Browse to the database you want to append and click Import.
* Select the individual tables you want to import, or Select all
* Click Options and de-select Relationships, then click OK
* The tables will now have been imported into your master database, but the imported tables are not yet part of the originals, they will be separate tables, appended with a Number 1 (e.g. Games1)
* Joining the tables together becomes a cut & Paste job, which you have to do one table at a time. Open an imported table (e.g. Games1), click Edit ->Select All Records and Copy
* Close the Imported table and open the original table (e.g. Games)
Click Edit -> Paste Append
*Close this table & move onto the next. When you have pasted into all tables, you can delete alll the imported tables.
* Next run Tools ->Database Utilities -> Compact & Repair Database
*Save & close Access.
* Before opening in Gamebase, I recommend you also run Scan & Fix Errors in the GB Toolbox.
* Job done - Hopefully :?

Well you asked! :D

Good luck,
Daveee
Last edited by daveee65 on Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bo
boomer12

Merging databases

Fri May 21, 2004 9:10 pm

DAVEEE,
Thanks for the help.
It worked for the most part. There are still some errors even after running the compact and repair, and the scan and fix errors. So, I will just have to figure that out by hand I guess.
Allot of entries are now of course duplicates. I merged allot of the BLAST collection, which is not needed, but I still have it and wanted it included. Also the Dotson collection from Arnolds.
What I had done wrong was NOT copying over every field table, I had just done GAMES, and GAMES1. So thanks for the pointers. I really appreciate it.

Boomer12k
daveee65
Keen Member
Keen Member

Fri May 21, 2004 10:36 pm

OK, No probs Boomer,
I went through a similar thing to you, so I just know where you're coming from that's all. Messing on & patience - that's all you need to get there :wink:

Anyway, yes. The import isn't perfect, I don't know about you, but I used to get crashes (sometimes lock-ups) for no apparent reason, but I narrowed down on them using Gamebase itself (seemed to crash consistantly at, or about the same game). I then painstakingly applied a few rules (correcting entries via access) that I worked out by experimentation. See under Forum title 'Gamebase crashes when adding games'; I listed all my rules of thumb there.

[Related Aside]
You know, this whole process sounds so much like someone could create a VBA Macro in Access to implement, even if the pending Gamebase utility has a way to go yet.
I'm pretty handy with Excel Macros, but with Access, I'm quite a newby and I feel pretty stifled by it. Can anyone knock up an Access Macro to suit, or even kick one off to start the game? - Go-on, this is your chance to shine :P
If so contact the GB Team, or if you are shy, whisper quietly to me :wink: (my mail Addr. is given in profile)

Daveee
Last edited by daveee65 on Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
J2003C
GB64 Team

Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:00 pm

Lockups and crashes that occur after using Access to mess with the database are usually caused by inserting an empty field when a Null field is expected. Access is not an easy tool for amatuers like me!
-J2010C-
daveee65
Keen Member
Keen Member

Re. Merging Databases?

Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:06 pm

Sure, none of this is for the lighthearted but if you are desperate to have a go and the crashing problem should occur, the nominal entries which could fix your problem are listed at;
Subject: Game Base Crashes when adding games :D
http://www.gb64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”