Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Alternate methods to enter data into GameBase databases?

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

throwingmuse

Alternate methods to enter data into GameBase databases?

Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:11 pm

Are there alternate proven methods to create GameBase databases without having to use the frontend as a data entry interface? I would like to be able to open the .mdb file of a new GameBase in Access and be able to copy/paste data. I have experimented with this approach but I have always received a "Runtime error 94 - Invalid use of Null" when attempting to select new records using the GameBase launcher.

To test, I copied a valid row in the .mdb file and duplicated it multiple times before changing the "Filename" and "ScrnShotFilename" values. I changed nothing else. However, Access did create a new unique primary key in "GA_Id" for each copied row. The new rows do appear in the GameBase launcher, but once they are selected, the runtime error occurs.

It seems like editing the raw .mdb file should be acceptable as that what GameBase itself does. I've checked for external .ini files or registry entries, but nothing points to an external relationship other than the .mdb file. I am using Access 2007 on a Windows 7 64bit Ultimate OS.
throwingmuse

Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:30 pm

It seems that by using the GBToolbox and executing the "Scan and Fix Errors" on the .mdb file, the runtime errors are corrected. So, I should be able to update all the data fields using Access and then use GBToolbox to correct the NULL values.

This approach will save a large amount of time for 100+ game entries.

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”