Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

WinVice 2.0 support?

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

Gompedyret

WinVice 2.0 support?

Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:38 pm

Hi there. Absolute beginner with gamebase n' stuff, but it sure looks very promising.

Just one question to begin with: I installed the latest GameBase (1.2), the latest db, finally got the sids and screenshots to work, but from what I can see, WinVice 2.0 isn't supported.

I had to fin an old copy of WinVice 1.2 to get GB to recognize it. Is this the way it is or did I just overlooked something?
Mayhem
GB64 Team

Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:16 am

Emulator recognition is built into looking at the checksum of the X64 executables it finds. The latest build of GB64 came out before Vice 2.0 launched so it won't know to look for it.

You should be able to add it yourself in the meantime by doing the following:

- open the GEMUS.DAT file in Notepad or other text editor.
- copy one of the WinVice lines replacing the name to be WinVice 2.0.
- find out the CRC32 checksum of the Vice 2.0 X64.exe file (8 characters) and replace that in the line (it sits between "x64.exe" and "D64;G64...".
- save file, boot Gamebase64 up and rerun the search script.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Gompedyret

Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:20 am

Thanks mate, you are of course correct. Somehow I had gotten the impression that last update on GameBase was from the end of August, while it obviously came in January instead.

Ended up using 1.22 though, since it seems to work flawlessly.
neil324

Tue May 19, 2009 9:39 pm

How do you know/find out the CRC32 checksum of the Vice 2.1?
K.C.
Cool Member
Cool Member

Wed May 20, 2009 7:21 am

In the frontend, click GEMUS, then choose Export Emulator Definitions.
neil324

Wed May 20, 2009 9:09 am

Cant 'export emulator definitions' unless its setup through the wizard first and the wizard dose'nt find 2.1.
K.C.
Cool Member
Cool Member

Wed May 20, 2009 9:30 am

First you have to setup your emulator(s) manually, by choosing Manage Emulators in the GEMUS Menu.
To do this, click the New-button and fill in the required fields. You can copy several information, like the GEMUS script from another Gamebase, but you can also create everything for yourself.

After this is done, you can optionally export the emulator definitions to create a GEMUS.DAT file.
This GEMUS.DAT file is used by the GEMUS Setup Wizard. You can make things a bit easier for others if you are going to distribute your Gamebase collection. End users can run the GEMUS Setup Wizard to configure their emulators automatically, but you don't have to configure it if your collection is for personal use.

But if you only want to replace WinVICE with a newer version in a situation that already works with an older version of WinVICE, all you have to do is replacing the files in the folder where your old WinVICE is installed with the new version.
Mayhem
GB64 Team

Wed May 20, 2009 10:38 am

neil324 wrote:How do you know/find out the CRC32 checksum of the Vice 2.1?
I use a CRC32 checker program, such as the one from Markus Brenner's site.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”