Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

using gb64 with a tv

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

little_plugger
Keen Member
Keen Member

using gb64 with a tv

Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:35 am

i'm trying to set up the c64 with a tv so that i can convert the garage into a sort of 'games room'

It is possible to hook up a tv to the computer by buying a new special video card or video cord?

also, it is possible to have two joysticks setup on a computer for CCS64 or Vice?
Gu

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:59 am

Depending on the graphics card that you have, if it offers TV-out this is normally via the S-Video connector on the back of the graphics card.

If you TV has s-video in, you can simply hook up the two with an S-Video cable. If it doesn't, then you can get a lead which splits the s-video signal into video (yellow) and audio (red and white) which you can then connect to your TV if it has those connectors.

If on the other hand you have a high definition TV or an LCD set, a lot of them have either VGA monitor inputs or DVI-D inputs, so you can connect those together with a suitable cable. Almost all graphics card have VGA and DVI out these days.
hillelr
Keen Member
Keen Member

two joysticks

Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:46 pm

there is no problem to have two joysticks
one of them can be the original joystick connector on the sound card
and another a usb joystick.
i personaly have two joysticks and it is great.
about the TV you need a graphics card that has 'TV out' and you connect it to your TV.
i sometimes connect it to the TV and it feels as in the 80's when i used to play these games and it is great.
i also have long connectors for the joysticks so i can play on my couch while playing on the tv.
bye
little_plugger
Keen Member
Keen Member

Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:13 am

regettable, i've only got a 'blue vga' on the computer.

the tv i got has an AV (Red Yellow White) Input....

an alternative would be to use my 1084 monitor.... will this work?
hillelr
Keen Member
Keen Member

TV

Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:28 pm

the yellow input is for video
red and white are for audio
the audio you will get through your sound card so you don't need to connect it to the TV.
if you have a graphics card with TV out it will connect to the yellow input on your TV.
J2003C
GB64 Team

Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:35 pm

A long time ago (1996-1998), before video cards commonly had RCA or S-video outputs, I had an adapter that split the VGA monitior output into RCA video out and a VGA out for the monitor. It was a little faded, due to the signal splitting (loss of video signal strength), but it worked pretty well. I used it to make a video about violence in video games for a class I was taking. I'm sure you can still find this sort of thing for sale somewhere on the web for cheap.
-J2010C-
Gu

Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:41 am

thanks for the help.

you've given me a few ideas on how to achieve this.

will post some pictures when it materialises!

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”