Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

adding mame roms

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

Gu

adding mame roms

Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:27 pm

How do i get 1000+ mame games into Gamebase without adding them 1 by 1?
daveee65
Keen Member
Keen Member

adding mame roms

Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:43 pm

I haven't tried this for Mame, but there is a facility to import Romcenter roms with the Gamebase Toolbox (GBtoolbox.exe)
You will need to download the relavent Mame arcade data file from http://www.romcenter.com/
Then unzip it and import it using the above utility.

People have found problems before, it's related to the release version of the dat file, but the best thing to do is just try it and see.

Once you have successfully, imported the dat file I have found that the best way to modify the data without laboriously working through each individual game in Gamebase, is to use MS Access. There is a discussion on editing the database via Access here:-
http://www.gb64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=430

Best of luck, it sounds like an interesting project. :)
Daveee
Gu

Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:24 pm

Cheers tried that but Gamebase requires version 2.00 of Romcenter. Did a serch for it but could only find the latest releases of Romcenter. Anyone know where u can find ver. 2.00?
daveee65
Keen Member
Keen Member

Adding mame roms

Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:00 pm

Romcenter is at Ver 2.7 now and the Mame Dat is at V1.01 right?
OK, so open the Rom file using a text editor; e.g. Wordpad

You will see the Dat file version No. & the current version states version=2.50. Change this to version=2.0, save the file and this time GBtoolbox will be able to import.

Once the gamebase is created, in the toolbox window, double-click on your new gamebase, right click on the .mdb file, then press 'Scan and fix errors'. Once all null entries have been deleted, exit the toolbox and you can open your mame database from GameBase. Trust me, I just tried it and it works :)

Now you will only have to add all the categories, genres, screenshots & more - Phew, for Mame that will be some task!
:?
To speed the process of data entry, try reading through the discussion shortcuts I highlighted earlier for editing the database in Access.
Last edited by daveee65 on Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gu

Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:12 pm

Changed the Dat file to version 2.00 and was able to import. It goes searching but i get an out of memory error and have to abort. Any suggestions on what the problem is.

Cheers
daveee65
Keen Member
Keen Member

Adding mame roms

Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:59 pm

Did you do para. 3 above before running in Gamebase;
i.e. Scan and Fix Errors? - This gets rid of any null data & should allow it to work. If you have Access, you can also try a similar thing.
It's under Tools -> Database Utilities -> Compact and repair database

Exactly, what is the error No.? - This might help narrow down the problem.

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”