Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Help - Error when adding Zip Files

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

CyberFoxZA

Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:27 pm

Hi - I have a problem when i try to add games(manualy or verify) to the "SnesGamebase_V01a.exe" I have auto listed many games and also manualy. Now when I try to add a zipped game i get this error msg "There was an error reading from the file or the file does not conform to the standard." the zipped files where all checked for crc errors - all ok. Currently having 366 games in the database.

If the files are not zipped ie flashback.smc=ok but flashback.zip= "There was an error reading from the file or the file does not conform to the standard." And that goes for all games thereafter not only the above 1 but all zipped games.

Since I "think" the frontend checks the files I post my problem here.

Hope some1 can be off help here pls.

CyberFoxZA :cry: :cry: :cry:
daveee65
Keen Member
Keen Member

Error when adding Zip Files

Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:26 am

Similar problems have cropped up before. They don't exactly match your problem, but have a look at the articles listed below on the Gamebase Frontend forum, they might help.

From a blind guess, I'd say the favourite culprit would be having gamebase, or the roms folder buried deep in your hard drive. Gamebase doesn't like excessively long path names.

Related articles:-
Subject: Game Base Crashes when adding games;
http://www.gb64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412

Subject: Runtime Errors
http://www.gb64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=562

The following article might also help. The user started with one problem and it developed into another, we looked at all kinds of solutions.

Subject: Run-time error 91 when playing game
http://www.gb64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=967

Good luck,
Daveee
Gu

Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:40 am

Daveee65 Thnx for responding.
1. The problem is not with the paths ie -
1=c:\GameBase\SNES\Games
2. I Have Reinstalled Gamebase Frontend, VB Runtime & Snesbase.
Problem not solved.
3. All Archives where checked.
4. The prob is same with all compressed files.
5. Only Files that is exceptable r the uncompressed ones.

HOWEVER HOWEVER CHECK THIS OUT!!!!!

I now went to look at my GameBase 64 files. It was working perfectly before. Now I have the same problem.

The problem is not when adding files. Cos the files r verified. It is when reading these files that the prob starts.

This is very strange cos the problem starts as soon as a filename that starts with "FIRE F...." & is archived is encountered this error msg "There was an error reading from the file or the file does not conform to the standard." is displayed.

This is true for GameBase 64 & snes.

The following was done with snesbase

But a file like "Fire Emblem.zip" is fine.

Every single file there after displays the same error msg. Yes - no files after a file name starts with "FIRE F...." can be accessed.

Renaming the file say "Fire Fighting.zip" to "1Fire Fighting.zip" makes the file exceptable!!!!
Renaming the file to "Fire1 Fighting.zip" gives the same error.

I have removed all entries starting with FIRE from the sness access database only to find that the problem then is the same with files starting with first.

Now I have installed XP SP2 but i'm not sure if this prob was there before or not.

What could be the cause of this.??????

PLS any1 help

Thanx
CyberFoxZA
CyberFoxZA

Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:41 am

OOOOOPPPSSSS!
Forgot to log in.

CyberFoxZA
CyberFoxZA
/\/\
( ' ' )
=\/=
J2003C
GB64 Team

Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:05 am

The problem is with GameBase not properly cleaning up Zip files. Delete the C:\GBGame folder and the problem will go away. This problem occurs when you have previously opened a Zip compressed with Maximum Deflate (non-portable), password protection or bit/CRC corruption. If it happens again, then you will again need to delete the GBGame folder.
-J2010C-
CyberFoxZA

Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:17 am

J2003C Thnx - My problem is over. Never thought it would be that simple a solution.

Thnx a million.

CyberFoxZA

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”