Page 1 of 1

ATTN: DB CREATORS: question on how you setup your gamebases

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:30 pm
by Jimbo

You may or may not have heard, but I am creating a new gamebase engine and have a question about how you setup your databases...

For the following tables: -

Do any of you ever rename these in the ini file and use them entirely to represent something else? If so, these tables lend themselves to be changed to a one-to-many relationship with the "Games" table (i.e. 1 game links to *many* programmers).

For the following also: -

These tables lend themselves to a 1 to 1 relationship with Games... do any of you change the meaning of these and wish they were 1 to many?

I hope that makes sense.

Please post any examples where you do.

This is to help me with the converter from the old mdb format to the new sqlite format.



Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:30 pm
by .mad.
Hi Jimbo,

i am always messing about with those fields in the text.ini to display something else.


[Record Selector Window]

;dialog for selecting a different publisher, programmer, musician, language, cracker etc.

;Keyboard Shortcuts: NO

CaptionPublisher=Select Publisher
CaptionProgrammer=Select Serial Number
CaptionMusician=Select Scene File Name
CaptionLanguage=Select Region
CaptionCracker=Select ROM Dumper
CaptionArtist=Select Save Type
CaptionDeveloper=Select Developer
CaptionLicense=Select Internal Name
CaptionRarity=Select CRC32
Programmers=Serial Number
Musicians=Scene File Name
Crackers=ROM Dumper
Artists=Save Type
Licences=Internal Name

in several examples only 1 game will have that CRC32 or serial.
so it does not need to be a 'clickable' field.

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:12 pm
by freenit
Hi Jimbo ,
I am very happy that finally someone is working on the GameBase frontend . I hope this new version has support for video and by selecting a game a video is displayed automatically .
I would also like to have support for Windows games , for those who want to make a pc gamebase without emulator.
Well, thanks for your work and I'd just like to know when this new version of the frontend will be released...

Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:49 am
by K.C.
There are 3 Gamebase Collections where I modified the Text.ini file for storing information that the frontend has no appropriate fields for:

CBM Digital Library
(Collection of Commodore 8 bit computers related books in PDF format)
  • Field GameLength: Used for number of pages.
  • Field Original: Used to indicate if PDF file is searchable
  • Field Genres: Renamed to "Document type" and modified the genres in Access.
  • A few minor changes (like "Programmer" renamed to "Author").
(Collection of C64 software that is not included in the GameBase64 collection, like productivity software and utilities)
  • Field Musician: Used to specify the image type (D64, T64, TAP, etc).
  • Field Genre: Modified the genres in Access.
  • Field HighScoreSaver: Used to specify if the program is an (uncracked) Original. I used this field, because the development started when GameBase 1.2 was the current release. This version did not include the Original field.
(Collection Handheld LCD/LED game simulators)
  • Field Genre: Modified the genres in Access.

Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:04 pm
by taulore
Hi Jimbo.

On the SuperNesBase I changed a few of them.

The other thing that I inquired about when putting it together was to have another weblink on the music tab so you could link to musicians web / Facebook page.