Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

MS-DOS Goldies Update 6

Discuss any other databases that use the GameBase Frontend, whether in pre development, development or publically released.

Moderator: Jimbo

Seiya
Commended Member
Commended Member

MS-DOS Goldies Update 6

Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:53 pm

This update instead is anoter time, big archive because theare are many iso games..
but this update will be realesed in the future and of corse some cd games replace cdrip games

however these are the games include in this update:

Alien Incident, Descent 2, Descent 2 3DFX, The Dig, Command and Conquer, Red Alert, F22 Lighting 2, Lotus 3, Lords of the Realm, Microcosm, Nascar Racing 2, Pray for Death, Privateer 2, Screamer Rally (256 and 65000 colors), Sensible World of Soccer (96-97 edition and European Championship), Star Wars Rebel ASsault 2, Tadpsid (opens source damocles?), Tekwar, TFX, Z (in french)
pondo198
Keen Member
Keen Member

Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:00 pm

So... where are these 'Extras' that you were going to be putting into the updates. I have been pretty tight-lipped and political about your gamebase up until this point, but I must attest that your total disregard for my body of work in DOSBase has put me to a point of disgust.

And just before others come rushing into Seiya aid on this matter, Everyone should know this. when Seiya's database was in its infancy stage, I had asked him to team up so we could compile one massive gamebase that one encompass the entire DOS era. To this, he replied, "No, I am not intersted." going on to say that his DOS gamebase was just a small database and that how DOSBase was going to be massive and so much better. blah blah blah...

Now, my reasoning for teaming up was because, why would anyone in their right minds even bother downloaded Gigs upon Gigs of the same games twice? They wouldn't! This basically means that the last three years of work that I have done is pretty much a total waste outside of my own personal gain.

How does DOSBase differ? Well first of all, games are specifically categorized by type, titles are correct, and all extras are included with each. I worked right along side the team at UG while they assembled, and continued working on their MS-DOS collection, offering content as I could, and commenting where feasable. I think that anyone who is making a DOS gamebase should be part of that team, as their work is a forefront of the DOS games era.

In addition, regardless of what some may feel here, All games in DOSBase work without error. They are linked to work with one another (for transferring characters, enhancements, etc.), as well as linked for relationship (like clones, oprecursor, etc.)

They majority of the work in DOSBase and thus the reason for the long lapse in releases is because every game is individually taylored to work. Games can be executed in any of their available video modes, and shareware games can be payed as both shareware or registered versions (most available that way) - all from the same databse entry!

Now, I may be flamed for all these comments, or possibly even banned from this forum, but wither way - work will still continue on DOSBase even if it is for my own personal use. I just think it will be interesting to see the reaction of some of the others here that are currently working on their gamebase projects when Seiya starts releasing his other intended gamebases, as some of them will undoubtably infringe on the works of others here as well.

And, maybe some of you should put yourself in the postion (and some are already there) of working on a gamebase for several years, making it as awesome as you can, and then have way there, someone else comes in and releases a shallow gamebase with nil compared to all the work you have done on yours. And then, to just keep sinking that knife deeper into your back by releasing updates every other week for the next two months to supplement an already inferior gamebase, simply because you released such a piece-of-s%$t gamebase in the first place.

Oh well, I'm outty, and you can keep the stool samples!
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:28 pm

Hi Pondo198,

Totally agree with you on the points you made.
i am waiting for your version.

maybe you could release it in completed letter archives.
A,B,C... to save the big download hit.
that's if you're not totally fed up with it now.

i think Gamebase fever hit Seiya after the fist release.
so he carried on releasing updates while the demand was there.
No disrespect intended.

While not as professional as your fine Christmas Beta or the EXODOS collection.
I can see why people would want to download it, if only for the games.

and no one is going to flame or ban you for releasing a quality Gamebase. :wink:
sjakie43
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:12 pm

I agree 8)

I appreciate your hard work Pondo, i'll wait for it :lol:

Regards

Sjakie43
Sjakie43

Demobase Creator

C64 Maxi with Vic20 mode :shock:
THEVIC20 with C64 mode :?

and more....
OX
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:30 pm

I don't think there is any point getting personal about the fact that somebody else has released a gamebase of similar content, it's happened a few times before now and there's still nothing stopping Pondo completing his Gamebase project and being the better Gamebase, so why get offended?

There's a bigger issue here of where to D/L these GB's from since UG has disappeared, where do we D/L your DOSBase updates from Pondo?

Tbh I don't want to discourage anyone from making gamebases and seiya has been very active and I like the regular updates he's been doing for his goldies project whereas we've had nothing for a long time for DOSBase, personally I have'nt favoured one over another so I am downloading both gamebases as the updates are released.
Seiya
Commended Member
Commended Member

Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:10 pm

@pondo
really i don't undestand what is the problem?

my intention was to make a dos database without extras..
Then i see that some games require it so i decide to insert some extras form some games that require technic manuals or walktrough.
Stop.

In this database that is born mainly for me, for my needs there are 3736 working games (floppy, CDrip and CDrom).

if you like it ok, if you don't like it, amen

Gamebae should be a game, a relaxing time, not a war between us. Your is the best, my is worst...
Our database are different: your is more compete, my is more simple and i delete any clone games, double games. I left only some games in their language. so you find the same games in two or three language.
I'm italian, so i prefer to have english and italian games, but if i have only a french version i upload french version to replace english cdrip games..

I left windows remake version like Z, Lost Viking and some other games.
I have Blackthorne and Blackhawk games that are the same gamse so i delete one of these.
F22 Lighting 2 there is an English CDrip and French Full games..i left bogh games, but a day i can delete one of these..

my 3736 games are without clones or double games, but i could forget some double games..
Seiya
Commended Member
Commended Member

Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:48 pm

at this time, thanks to this war between gamebase authors, i really want to close ms-dos goldies here with update 4.
However i promise to upload 5 and 6, and 7.
So i'll make this my last project and stop.

After that, i'll wait DOSBase
pondo198
Keen Member
Keen Member

Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:58 pm

DOSBase work will continue until I die, even if it is only for myself.

Seiya, OX

This was never meant to be a war between DOSBase authors. My biggest concern is for the community of Gamebase users themselves. The real issue here is simply this: Downloading mega sized gamebases when both contain many of the same games. I would be angry to be forced to download another 75 gig of games for someone's gamebase when I've already downloaded them for another. When I asked about joing our efforts, this was and has always been my concern. And I guess this whole opinionated argument was stemmed as sort of a preemptive strike to these issues being raised at a later time when DOSBase was to be completed.

Ox,

Underground Gamer 2.0 is in the works. Probably to be named Underworld Gamer, or Retro underworld, or something along those lines. This will happen sooner then later. Check the U.G. Refugee camp forums for more info.

As far as stopping your gamebase projects Seiya, I think that would be a horrible thing. I may have reacted a bit unfairly in some sense, but I'm just expressing my own personal thoughts.

Since the expected finish date for DOSBase isn't until 2014, having something DOS is always better then nothing. I would have just liked us to work together, so maybe our games would have been named the same so that downloading them for each database would have been lessened for the many gamebase users here.
Seiya
Commended Member
Commended Member

Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:16 pm

This was never meant to be a war between DOSBase authors. My biggest concern is for the community of Gamebase users themselves. The real issue here is simply this: Downloading mega sized gamebases when both contain many of the same games.
i repeat: you and all of you are not forced to download it.
if i like DOSBase i'll wait dosbase, if i like MS-DOS Goldies i download this.

When I asked about joing our efforts, this was and has always been my concern. And I guess this whole opinionated argument was stemmed as sort of a preemptive strike to these issues being raised at a later time when DOSBase was to be completed.
i said you that i wasn't interested because this project is a my idea and i want arrive to the end myselfs without any aid.
It's for my satisfaction

As far as stopping your gamebase projects Seiya, I think that would be a horrible thing. I may have reacted a bit unfairly in some sense, but I'm just expressing my own personal thoughts.
It's not official, but with update 6 my project will end. i'll release update 7 and then stop.
For now i don't know if there will be an update 8. I serious think to close with update 7.
Seiya
Commended Member
Commended Member

Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:06 am

i'd like to thanks gamebase author for his beautifull and powerfull fron-end.
Without gamebase I would not have remotely thought of embarking on a venture of this kind.
Thanks again.
Seiya
Commended Member
Commended Member

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:46 am

to best finsh this projet i start to collect walktrough for adventure and then commands for games that require it to play.
Seiya
Commended Member
Commended Member

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:09 pm

like promise i start to apply manual and walktrough even not for any games.
maybe i'll upload in update 6.

And again i found double games..i'll check any games for update 4 and today i found 2 "Empire - War of the Century"...

Return to “Other GameBase Projects”