Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Permanent host for GB collections

Discuss any other databases that use the GameBase Frontend, whether in pre development, development or publically released.

Moderator: Jimbo

OX
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Permanent host for GB collections

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:24 pm

As the title says - that would be nice so everyone's not chasing dead links or having to use private torrent sites.

Ideas anyone?
dax
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:00 am

Maybe anyone starts private FTP ? Because there is no better solutions. Webhosters always deletes files after some period of time.
I love Gamebase's creators and compilations
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:17 am

i would also love to have an FTP site.
However its hard to create one with a Dynamic IP.
It must be possible, but i just can't get it to work for me.

This share client seems like a good way round it.
http://www.tribler.org/

if i understand it correctly. :?

it works like utorrent and emule without a central server.
so links will never die, as long as one of us has the original files.
And we can make it private, just for gamebase members. 8)
sut
Cool Member
Cool Member

Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:24 pm

I think first port of call is to make sure they are all uploaded to Underground Gamer as I think they are reasonably safe there.

Then it's a case of getting as many of the Gamebase users registered as we can, the obvious problem is it excludes any new people from joining/experiencing the great Gamebase scene.

But I do think UG is a great starting point, we should also have a sticky with every Gamebase ever created and their links (similar to the BU22 website but with every Gamebase there).
pondo198
Keen Member
Keen Member

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:22 pm

I would agree that U.G. is the best option at this point. I think the bigger picture here is, that most users do more downloading than uploading, so its hard to maintain a positive ration there. Other then a few of you regulars here who make several different gamebases, there are many more users who simply just download them to appreciate having them.

That said, I think everyone would like to contribute when they can, but if they cant make or append an existing gamebase;then at least, at U.G., you could always make a $20 donation and that would give V.I.P status to download any gamebase one would like.

I wish there was a better way, and maybe .mad is on to something with the site he found... I personally couldn't think of anyway that wasn't going to cost users money some which way eventually. Either undergoing the expense of setting up a private FTP, or buying space on a file sharing site to make the links more permanent.
OX
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:00 pm

VIP status or not - no seeders, no download.

Return to “Other GameBase Projects”