Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

PC Gamebase

Discuss any other databases that use the GameBase Frontend, whether in pre development, development or publically released.

Moderator: Jimbo

Flarp
Keen Member
Keen Member

PC Gamebase

Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:35 am

I'm thinking about starting a Gamebase for all my favorite old PC games at least the ones that work under windows.. as dosbox is awesome for those games.. but my question is if the games each have there own .exe file how do I use Gamebase to set them up.. there is no emulator.. it's just each games individual .exe file.. how do I do this?
OX
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:43 am

I would imagine that Dosbox effectively becomes the "emulator" running it in dos silent cmdline mode passing the gamefile path and config details to it?
Flarp
Keen Member
Keen Member

Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:59 am

I want to load the games that work with windows directly from the list using there .exe file.. I only mentioned DOSBOX because I use it for the games that won't work under windows at all and require DOSBOX to work.
OX
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:43 am

Vicman
Cool Member
Cool Member

Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:13 am

Hi Flarp,

you should ask K.C. or .mad. for running Dosgames with GameBase.
(or did you mean only windows-games ? )
K.C. has written a nice GEMUS-Script for DOS-Games, and .mad. is still working on a DOS-GameBase :wink:
GB done: Philips VG 5000, Sord-M5, Acorn Atom, Enterprise v1.00
Flarp
Keen Member
Keen Member

Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:02 am

I'm aware and look forward to the DOS gamebase.. I just want to make a gamebase that can run Windows only games .. which have there own .exe files I can hook up for each game but ..no emulator is needed or used so it won't let me do it.. I may also add in some dos games I like but in those instances I will be using Dosbox.. and I can figure that part out until the dos gamebase in production is finished.. sorry if my messages are confusing I'm just trying to focus on the windows only games.. mostly the older adventure, rpg, strategy games as those are my favorite.. thanks in advance for all the help
OX
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:09 am

Wouldn't it be the case that you can choose any .exe file you like as the emulator but not actually execute it with Run_Emulator / Run_Emulator_Send_Keys in the gemus script, instead use Run_Program passing the game .exe path? (the emulator .exe just becomes a dummy file to satisfy the gamebase frontend)
K.C.
Cool Member
Cool Member

Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:01 pm

Yes, if you only want to call an executable and nothing more, this is what you need to do:
  • Create a dummy emulator. For example, create a text file Dummy.bat and paste this text in it:

Code: Select all

@REM Do nothing
  • Create a new emulator in GameBase (GEMUS / Manage Emulators).
  • Give it a name (for example Run program).
  • Browse to the Dummy emulator file you created in the first step.
  • Uncheck Use Defaults and type the extentions you want to support (for example EXE;COM;BAT;CMD;VBS).
  • Replace the standard script with this line:

Code: Select all

Run_Program(%gamepathfile%||||WAIT)
Flarp
Keen Member
Keen Member

Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:55 am

Okay I followed your instructions but it didn't work

I got the following message

The following file ws not found:

g:\game basse\pc\games\5 days a stranger\5days.exe

Do you want to continue running the game anyway?
K.C.
Cool Member
Cool Member

Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:05 am

Probably it's because there are one or more spaces in the folder- or filename.
Try to select "Use Short (8.3) Filenames" in the GEMUS window.
OX
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:18 am

You have spaces in that file path - have you unticked "use short filenames"?

You may be better off using the Run_Gamefile command as you can build up the command line in your script and will add automatically upon execution which Run_Program does not do.

Try it, at least you'll be able to add some debug messages in for your filepath. Stick this in your Gemus script before Run_Program :-

Show_Message(%commandline% )

- Is it showing the full path to the game?

You may have to store the path structure in the KV pairs per game and build it up for execution at runtime - back to whatever you are using as the gamebase disk directory.
Would have been easier and more compact if your games were zipped up although some PC games would take quite a while to unzip.

Edit - the above will only work if you are running stuff from a gamebase setup "Games" directory so looks like your stuck with Run_Program().
Flarp
Keen Member
Keen Member

Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:29 pm

Thank you all for your help. I just checked "Use Short (8.3) Filenames"

That got it working so again thank you very much... maybe next I should try and zip the games and see if that will still work well to save some room
dax
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:33 am

Will You use "DOSCollection v0.8 (2007-06-16)" ?

It would be great to see DIGGER in this one :P
I love Gamebase's creators and compilations
Flarp
Keen Member
Keen Member

Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:21 am

Umm I don't even have Dos Collection v0.8 but I might have to look into that... or if your comment is directed towards the upcoming Dos gamebase that's not mine.. but I am looking forward to it.. I currently use the frontend Defend with Dosbox for all my dos gaming.. at least until the dos gamebase is finished.

Return to “Other GameBase Projects”