Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Vectrex (script?) Help???

Discuss any other databases that use the GameBase Frontend, whether in pre development, development or publically released.

Moderator: Jimbo

user42
Keen Member
Keen Member

Vectrex (script?) Help???

Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:04 am

So I spent all day trying to find a version of mess that would display Vectrex overlay files and has decent emulation...It seems the versions around 0.100 are the best. So problem, solved I start to add games to the gamebase but when I test them in the GB....No Overlays....
OK to be specific ver0.103 has no overlays, ver0.106 is just playing the last game I played from messgui no matter what game I select in GB (but it does show the overlay) :roll:

Is this a script problem? does any one have any ideas?
Here is the beginings of the GB. If someone knowlegable could take a look and tell me what I am doing wrong I would really apperaciate it.

http://sharebee.com/c2dd5f14

(Note: this a very early GB, only four games, no info or extras. Don't bother downloading unless you are trying to help solve the problem.)
user42
Keen Member
Keen Member

Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:50 pm

Just wanted to note, to anyone who may help, that of the four games there only two have overlays, Armor Attack and Bedlam. 8)

Please someone who understands scripts...help me out here.... :?
AAG

Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:49 pm

Hi

I've got it working from a "command prompt" - details below, so it should be easy enough to add these into the script.

Method 1 - Start messgi.exe, then under "options", "directories" set the "artwork directory".

Then from a cmd prompt -

cd D:\GameBase\vectrex\Emulators\mess0104b
messgui vectrex -cartridge "D:\GameBase\vectrex\Games\Armor Attack (1982).bin"

Method 2 -Specify everything from the cmd prompt

Specify the artwork dir and also the "useartwork" flags (Works for messgui.exe AND mess.exe) :-

mess vectrex -cartridge "D:\GameBase\vec
trex\Games\Armor Attack (1982).bin" -artwork_directory "D:\GameBase\vectrex\Emul
ators\mess0104b\artwork" -artwork

General notes

From a cmdprompt, mess -showusage > help.txt is quite useful.

It also appears that there a difference between ini file processing from mess.exe vs messgui.

Eg If you set the artwork path from messgui and then lauch

trex\Games\Armor Attack (1982).bin"

NO ARTWORK. But doing this (ie the readconfig)

trex\Games\Armor Attack (1982).bin" -readconfig

does the trick!

The "-showconfig" supplied to mess.exe appears to be really usful for debugging the options - as it'll list the current config.

Hope this helps?

AAG
user42
Keen Member
Keen Member

Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:39 am

Hey AAG, thank you so much for taking the time to help out. I just played around for quite a while trying to figure out how to make a working script file but I still don't get it. :?
To be clear, I know nothing about any sort of programing, or script writing, or even what exactly a "command prompt" is. So I am a bit lost here.

What I would really love is if someone could hand me a working script file. Short of that I think I will need some idiot proof instructions. :cry:
K.C.
Cool Member
Cool Member

Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:34 am

I have tested your Vectrex database, changed some settings and got it working now!
This is what I modified:

1) Most important modification: In the Vectrex emulator properties window, click to DESELECT "Use Short (8.3) Filenames". Gamebase has to use long filenames to find the correct overlay file inside Vectrex.zip (in the artwork folder).

2) Clear your GEMUS script and paste the following (simpified/corrected) script in the script window:

Code: Select all

;***********************************
;* MESS 0.104 Vectrex GEMUS Script *
;*            (c) K.C.             *
;*        10 December 2008         *
;***********************************
;
; PLEASE SET YOUR EMULATOR PROPERTIES AS FOLLOWS:
;
; Emulator File:  MESS.EXE
; Associated File (1): MESS.INI
; Use Short Filenames: NO
; File Types:  BIN
;
;
; The MESS.INI file if not present can be created by typing
; MESS -cc from the commandline. However, at the current time
; this script runs purely with commandline options so it's not
; needed.

If GameType CONTAINS(bin)

Add_CLP( vectrex )

;Use the old UI as cheats will not work otherwise, the new UI also causes other problems
Add_CLP( -nonewui )
Add_CLP( -cheat )

Add_CLP( -cartridge %gamepathfile%)
Run_Emulator()

Else

;invalid game file type
Show_Message(GAME_NOT_SUPPORTED%crlfx2%Supported types: BIN)

End If
3) Remove Mess.txt under "Script files". A config file must be filled in at this place, not the GEMUS script file. This field can be left blank, because all settings are done from the command line, not by modifying an .ini or .cfg file.

4) Check to make sure that you have a file Vectrex.zip in the Artwork folder of MESS. This zip file should contain all overlay files you are using in your Vectrex collection.
user42
Keen Member
Keen Member

Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:18 pm

YES!!! :D

Thank you soooo much.

I know you weren't expecting it , but I want you to have this as a small token of my appreaciation....

Seriously THANK YOU!
AAG

Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:14 pm

Heres a slight update to KC's script. (Unticking the use 8.3 filenames was the real key to this)

This means you don't have to load messgui first and set the BIOS and Artwork paths up before launching games via gamebase :-

---------------------------

If GameType CONTAINS(bin)

Add_CLP(vectrex)

;Use the old UI as cheats will not work otherwise, the new UI also causes other problems
Add_CLP( -nonewui)
Add_CLP( -cheat)

Add_CLP( -cartridge %gamepathfile%)

Add_CLP( -biospath %emupath%\bios)

Add_CLP( -artwork_directory %emupath%\artwork)

Add_CLP( -artwork)

;; Useful for debugging the commandlne
;; Edit_CLP("The cmdline is")

Run_Emulator()

Else

;invalid game file type
Show_Message(GAME_NOT_SUPPORTED%crlfx2%Supported types: BIN)

End If

---------------------------

(Tested by deleteing all the vectrex.ini files within the mess folder)

Though it might be useful?

AAG

Return to “Other GameBase Projects”