Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Gamebase Apple2

Discuss any other databases that use the GameBase Frontend, whether in pre development, development or publically released.

Moderator: Jimbo

oknihcap
Keen Member
Keen Member

Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:35 pm

After trying your steps again, I've been able to get most games running when that error message appears. So I think that is the way around this problem for now.

However, I'm not able to start up Space Fox. I do everything the same as outlined above, which works for other games that show that error, but for Space Fox, the game window opens up and closes down almost immediately before anything happens. The apple 2GS screen opens and then just closes down. Now, if I follow your above steps, under "Select Runnable File from Archive...", there are 2 files that show up:

Space Fox.2mg
System Software 6.0.1 Harddisk (1989)(Apple).2mg

Like I said, if I select "Space Fox.2mg" the game won't run. If I select the System Software file and try to run that, it starts to load and says:

"Disk HARDDISK
may be damaged. Please move data to another disk."

So I'm wondering if is there some other problem that is preventing this game from loading?

Another problem game is "Beyond Zork (Apple 2GS)" - it displays:

"Unexpected Error. Unable to list contents of archive".

If I try to manually open the file as above, it says "Invalid emulator file - Unable to get list of archive contents".
Hidron
Cool Member
Cool Member

Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:12 pm

I think Space Fox is a known bad one. When I select it in my Gamebase window, it shows at the bottom of the window as Not Working.

I noticed the same issue with most GS games not working out of the box with the file not found message, which is easily fixed by repacking the file as stated above. Had just come here to see if there was a faster way.

Still some nice work though.
hardmanm
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:58 pm

I'm doing a new Apple II gamebase which excludes GS stuff, and i'm looking for the following manuals to add if anyone has them and prepared to share with me. The ones i'm looking for are all SSI wargame manuals, and are listed below.

Battle Group
Battle of Antietam
The Battle of Shiloh
Bomb Alley
Breakthrough in the Ardennes
Computer Air Combat
Computer Bismarck
Computer Napoleonics
The Cosmic Balance
The Cosmic Balance II
Fighter Command: The Battle of Britain
Galactic Gladiators
Guadalcanal Campaign
Nam
Napoleon's Campaigns 1813 & 1815
North Atlantic 86
Objective Kursk
Operation Apocalypse
Overrun
Panzer Strike
President Elect
Pursuit of the Graf Spee
Sons of Liberty
Southern Command
War in the South Pacific
The Warp Factor
Warship

Any help would get a credit on release of the gamebase
Last edited by hardmanm on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gamebase Developer
Starscream

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:39 pm

Do you mean actual scans, or are text files also ok?
Hidron
Cool Member
Cool Member

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:53 pm

And do they need to be the actual Apple versions? I noticed poking around on Underground Gamer, one of the DOS manual packs had files for Sons of Liberty.
Sons_of_Liberty_-_Historical_Reference_Guide_-_PC
Sons_of_Liberty_-_Manual_-_PC
Sons_of_Liberty_-_Map_-_PC
Just for reference, this was the torrent http://www.underground-gamer.com/details.php?id=22825
hardmanm
Cool Member
Cool Member

Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:24 pm

I would like scanned manuals, especially in pdf format. Usually SSI manuals cover all systems that the game appears on, so any would do.

Many thanks
Gamebase Developer
Hidron
Cool Member
Cool Member

Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:59 am

Found C64 documentation for Geopolitique 1990 https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7MEL3l ... edit?pli=1

Location was referenced from http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 49f3b60271
Starscream

Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:25 pm

Can't help you with full pdfs, most of the docs that are available were typed up back then apparently.
For the old Apple-exlusives like Computer Air Combat, there's not even that available it seems, as I discovered the last time I did a search for them myself, since they're difficult to figure out without any help.

About Panzer Strike though, this should be one single release, shouldn't it? Afaik, Africa and all the other campaigns were sold as one game.
Last edited by Starscream on Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hardmanm
Cool Member
Cool Member

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:30 pm

Hidron wrote:Found C64 documentation for Geopolitique 1990 https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7MEL3l ... edit?pli=1

Location was referenced from http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 49f3b60271
Downloaded and Added, thanks
Gamebase Developer
hardmanm
Cool Member
Cool Member

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:43 pm

Does anyone know of any sites with Apple II original images rather than cracked ones. I'm finding most of the new games i'm adding are on compilation disks full of cracked games, i'd rather use uncracked if possible as they look better.
Gamebase Developer
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:24 pm

hardmanm wrote:Does anyone know of any sites with Apple II original images rather than cracked ones. I'm finding most of the new games i'm adding are on compilation disks full of cracked games, i'd rather use uncracked if possible as they look better.
Hi Mark,
CHECK YOUR MAIL... 8)
links to a NIB collection.

It's got to be cracked versions all the way for me.

The games may look better /cleaner (i agree with you there),
but odds are you will run into emulator compatibility problems down the track.
Originals are very nice to have as an EXTRA. But not as the main game file, if they don't work in gamebase using emulators.

this is only my opinion, and i am sure your gamebase will be TOP as usual. :wink:
hardmanm
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:30 am

A lot of the NIBS are cracked anyway, so as long as i have a working version of a game. I don't like having to add compilation disks and then using commands to choose the right game, i can't get that to work in mess.
Gamebase Developer
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:40 pm

hardmanm wrote:A lot of the NIBS are cracked anyway, so as long as i have a working version of a game. I don't like having to add compilation disks and then using commands to choose the right game, i can't get that to work in mess.
ahh! so the comp disks have some sort of menu then.

you could delete the menu /autoexec file, and use the sendkeys to load the game file directly.
just like OX did in the Ti99 gamebase.

the keyboard MUST be set in natural mode for SENDKEYS to work in MESS.
Add_CLP ( -nat)

or using a disk file copy utility in MESS.
move the files back to one disk per game.
Starscream

Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:03 pm

Is there actually any emulator that plays tape images? Some of those are around made from originals.
hardmanm
Cool Member
Cool Member

Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:54 pm

I have just released my new Apple II Gamebase on Under-Gound Gamer, this is a new gamebase made to replace Apple2Mania which i was never really happy with. It has no Apple ii GS games, but does have a script for MESS to run in GS mode. It is huge and is a 3GB download due to the ammount of manuals and cover scans.

http://www.underground-gamer.com/detail ... 0&edited=1

Enjoy
Gamebase Developer

Return to “Other GameBase Projects”