Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

TOSEC DATS OR BETTER: TOSEC NAMING

Discuss any other databases that use the GameBase Frontend, whether in pre development, development or publically released.

Moderator: Jimbo

NLS

TOSEC DATS OR BETTER: TOSEC NAMING

Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:17 am

Happy New Year people!!!

PLEASE guys, post a CLRMAMEPRO DAT with the games needed in your gamebases. Many people (like me) have complete TOSEC and it is a pity (and would save everybody's bandwidth) to redownload things we already have.

Also since I talked about TOSEC, please people try to use TOSEC filenames if possible - may not be possible on all "gamebases" but wherever possible please do it (so we won't use two copies of the same files and just point to our TOSEC folder).

It is vital to let one naming convention "survive" (even help it) than having EVERYBODYs idea about naming the games.

For example imagine if tomorrow I come up with another collection (or even my own version of an existing collection) and decide to name the files using <name>, <game quality as I feel it>, <disk number using letters - use even on single disks>, <disk serial according to my own numbering> (like anybody cares) and force you to use this for "my" gamebase, even though you possibly already have the same file 1-2-3 other times.

"Hutchback, rulez, disk A, 1257.zip"
"Dronewars, sucks, disk A, 339.zip"

TOSEC already takes care of naming things. If you don't like the naming, I suggest you help them make it better (so we can all make use of your good ideas), not improvise.
---
NLS
Pugsy
GB64 Team

Re: TOSEC DATS OR BETTER: TOSEC NAMING

Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:24 pm

NLS wrote:Happy New Year people!!!

PLEASE guys, post a CLRMAMEPRO DAT with the games needed in your gamebases. Many people (like me) have complete TOSEC and it is a pity (and would save everybody's bandwidth) to redownload things we already have.
Most databases as they are quite small to start with have no need for dat files as rightly or wrongly they distribute them together and you often can't just download the legal stuff.
NLS wrote:Also since I talked about TOSEC, please people try to use TOSEC filenames if possible - may not be possible on all "gamebases" but wherever possible please do it (so we won't use two copies of the same files and just point to our TOSEC folder).
There's no need to use the TOSEC naming convention if you are not using the TOSEC images though - it's a naming convention for TOSEC that's all, their database maintainer will rename them when they grab your work and assimilate it into TOSEC. Granted, if you are using TOSEC images it would be easier to stick TOSEC names as file renaming is more work - but even then I'd be tempted to rename some of them as some filenames can be rather long. As it stands most databases that use TOSEC images do stick to the TOSEC filenames.
NLS wrote:It is vital to let one naming convention "survive" (even help it) than having EVERYBODYs idea about naming the games.
No, it's completely unimportant for a GameBase - it's the image that's important. Unfortunately, as TOSEC preserves everything including known bad dumps it needs this naming convention. GameBase doesn't need it as unlike TOSEC all the information that can be found about the game can be linked directly to the game and there's a LOT more work that goes into a GameBase entry than a simple filename.
NLS wrote:For example imagine if tomorrow I come up with another collection (or even my own version of an existing collection) and decide to name the files using <name>, <game quality as I feel it>, <disk number using letters - use even on single disks>, <disk serial according to my own numbering> (like anybody cares) and force you to use this for "my" gamebase, even though you possibly already have the same file 1-2-3 other times.

"Hutchback, rulez, disk A, 1257.zip"
"Dronewars, sucks, disk A, 339.zip"

TOSEC already takes care of naming things. If you don't like the naming, I suggest you help them make it better (so we can all make use of your good ideas), not improvise.
Filenames simply don't matter with GameBase! All the information is in the database - which is fully searchable and a lot more useful than a filename. In fact if I was starting a gamebase from scratch and didn't use TOSEC or GOOD named files I'd definitely not name them the TOSEC way - it'll make the work of their database maintainers a bit harder as when they rob all the images they'd have to rename them all themselves :twisted:
Gamebase64 Team Member http://www.gamebase64.com
Ex-freelance cheat listing/pokes contributer to Zzap, CF, CU & ACE
MAME Cheat File Maintainer http://www.mamecheat.co.uk
aevans0001

Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:23 am

Ok but youre arguements make no sense... Who cares if Tosec includes extra crap noone cares about....It is the naming of them all.. Why would i want Mission impossible to be named impmis1_03731_02.zip. If I am looking at a directory what game is that?What are the numbers on it 03731? 02? Talk about junk nobody wants...

I loved this program, and still use it on my computer but for an arcade I need the names to be right. You could maybe create a tosec 2 gamebase64 dat (that works) or a gamebase 64 to tosec dat. For files, screenshots, magazines, etc.

You should allow either version also...
Or I tihnk as a whole if you would rename them to Mission impossible.zip evryone would be happy but impmis1_03731_02.zip is not really acceptable
merman
Cool Member
Cool Member

Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:17 am

Surely the filename is only important to the database itself?

The whole point of a frontend is that it launches the game for you - you don't need to worry about finding the file!
Pugsy
GB64 Team

Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:03 pm

Why are you resurrecting an old topic and turning it around on GB64 this is not a GB64 related topic - hence why it's in the "Other GameBase Projects" forum. In that context the TOSEC statement in my earlier comment is my own opinion and makes sense.
aevans0001 wrote:Ok but youre arguements make no sense... Who cares if Tosec includes extra crap noone cares about....It is the naming of them all.. Why would i want Mission impossible to be named impmis1_03731_02.zip. If I am looking at a directory what game is that?What are the numbers on it 03731? 02? Talk about junk nobody wants...

We want it, 03731 is the database id and 02 is means it's the 2nd version of Impossible Mission we have used since the start of gb64. If you use the GB program you don't need to see the filename anyway.

aevans0001 wrote:I loved this program, and still use it on my computer but for an arcade I need the names to be right. You could maybe create a tosec 2 gamebase64 dat (that works) or a gamebase 64 to tosec dat. For files, screenshots, magazines, etc.
Not gonna happen, there's a GoodGB64 clrmame dat that renames the game images to long filenames but they won't work with the GB ftontend unless the filenames are in the proper format.
You should allow either version also...
Or I tihnk as a whole if you would rename them to Mission impossible.zip evryone would be happy but impmis1_03731_02.zip is not really acceptable
Nobody really cares as they use GB with GB64...that's the whole point. And I think you will find that naming it Mission Impossible is not acceptable at ALL, it's not a TV show it's a game and it's called Impossible Mission. In my mind getting such a calssic game's name wrong should be a capital offence and all this suggests you are just a TOSEC collector rather than 64 enthiusiast.
Gamebase64 Team Member http://www.gamebase64.com
Ex-freelance cheat listing/pokes contributer to Zzap, CF, CU & ACE
MAME Cheat File Maintainer http://www.mamecheat.co.uk
aevans0001

Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:56 am

ok... I understand your point that if you use the GB63 game you do not need to worry about the filenames.. I am tlaking aobut the people (like myself) who like the gb64 frontend on their computer, but on the arcade, I think it needs to look cleaner. GB64 look like a list of games and thats it, nothing real flashy for an arcade. On the computer perfect, lust like mame on a computer perfect.... So in order to have a good list of games on my arcade with the proper names (Imposible mission not impmission0129132 or not even mission impossible (A)(S)(SD)(lk)!(USA)) Then I could rename the roms to tosec but then i would not have the screenshots matching.

Screenshots to those who care are the biggest problem with the different naming routines. If you have screenshots named to tosec they don't work in GB64 if you have shots in No intro once again they don't work on tosec. If someone (not me as I have no programming knowledge) could create a program that would rename these images based on a dat (There is a program called Generic art renamer), but not be soo picky, so if a file was close it would rename it.....

Anyway just my ideas.... I am in no way dissing on GB64 as I stated i love the program, what I do not like is the fact that the scene as a whole will not conform to one naming procedure. Just because Tosec and good include crap doesn't mean Gb can't have the same naming procedures just don't include the crap, same thing with no-intro and all others...

The reason this is in a side project is because as this started I was asking somebody to create this program

Return to “Other GameBase Projects”